1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Change Screen Resolution/No Sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by p_stiffy, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p_stiffy

p_stiffy Thread Starter

I just formatted my computer due to a virus, and after it formatted..i found out i wasnt able to change my screen resolution from the default. I tried everything the windows help says to do, but none of them worked. As well, there is no sound at all playin, and i tried everything windows had to help...so any help would be GREAT!

Thanks in advance

2. pinntech

pinntech

Go to your device manage and see if you have any devices with a ?-mark or !-mark by them. Also look for unknown devices.

Most likely, the drivers for your video card and sound card not installed.

3. physician

physician

Welcome to the forum

next time you have a bug problem, instead of reformatting and reinstalling, there are so many free programs out there for antivirus, spyware removal, spyware blocking, popup blocking and browsers that you should give them a try. Also , this forum has an excellent free security help area where you could have gotten free help to remove your bug/s...doc

4. p_stiffy

p_stiffy Thread Starter

thanks for the reply's...

I wouldn't have reformatted if i had another option. After the virus hit..i couldnt get into windows normally because i got an error that my copy of windows (which is legal) was not activated and i had to activate it, and because of this i couldnt access safe mode or system restore..and i couldnt activate my windows again because i have a DSL connection and i have log onto it....

How do i install the drivers? I was never given a cd when i bought my computer (everything was pre-loaded)..is there anywhere that i acan download the drivers from?

5. cowlin

cowlin

You can download drivers from the maker of your devices. Look in device manager under display adapters for your video card, usually tells you maker and model. Then look under sound, video and game controllers for your sound card maker and model. To find the makers site do a search. If you are not sure who made the device just search for what it says in device manager.

6. physician

physician

Cowlin is right. IF you had an abit mobo, you go to abit.com and nvidia vid card, go to nvidia.com - its easy. You need to know what mobo and what vid card you have - but if you use something like Belarc Advisor or Sisoftware Sandra, you can print that out...doc

7. ReidCorbett

ReidCorbett

I've dealt with this problem a lot with mainly Gateway systems but I've seen it onn a host of others. If your display adapter in device manager appears to be correctly installed yet you can't change the resolution the display drivers were loaded incorrectly by the OS.

Boot into safe mode using F8 at startup. Go into device manager, view the driver files for the display adapter and uninstall your display driver. While still in safe mode do a search for the driver files and delete all of them. When your system reboots go to the manufacturer's website and download the newest drivers and rerun the install or use device manager to update the drivers. I wish I knew why this happens but it seems to happen a lot. Either way...Good luck!

8. p_stiffy

p_stiffy Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, the problem is:

I cannot connect to the internet from my computer...to install the isp's info..i need to run a cd and the cd won't run at the current display settings..is there any other way??

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!