1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant change screen to external monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Craneguy, Oct 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Craneguy

Craneguy Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have a hp pavilion dv6 laptop with a broken screen that i have been running through my television via a hdmi cable and never had a problem. Today i updated to windows 10, since the update and the restart, my television has not been registering that my laptop is plugged in. I have tried fn + f4 and it wont change over. I can hear that my computer is working, but cant see what it is doing,, please help

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's probably because the lack proper driver support for that old DV6. The hotkey utility for many older HP alptops doesn't seem to work on Windows 10 and depending on what graphics chip your DV6 came with it too may not be fully supported under Windows 10 or requires a driver update.

3. Craneguy

Craneguy Thread Starter

Bugger,, thamks for your help. The drivers have been running all night but i havnt wanted to turn it off for worry of doing some damage. Do you think it would be safe to force a shutdown, or would you recommend taking it to someone to fix?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you mean the drivers have been running over night?

If you can't see anything you have little choice but to turn it off.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1158060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice