Can't change "This PC" File name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Axtenten

Hello everyone,

This happens recently after I purchased a new m.2, and I tried to move the files around. Somehow my
"Video" File name changed into "Music" in the screenshot below.

https://gyazo.com/1789cb99b9241527e2d66d2b1ed06aac
I tried to change the name also, but it doesn't show up. Every time I download or move something into that 1 file, let's say for example into the actual music file, it also goes into the duplicated "Music" Folder, I don't know how and I don't know how to fix it that. it seems like the files have been merge. I have tried to restore the default also, and it doesn't work.

https://gyazo.com/b702838b17d8af76167121b6f1bbe9a8

Could someone help me with this, I know it's not a big deal. but it's really starting to bother me a lot. Thank you

Fireflycph

Morten
Looks to me like it's one of the quick access folders.
You should be able to unpin it. (I wouldn't recommend deleting it. It may delete everything in there.) THen create a new quick access Folder Called Video and have the "C;\Users\green\Video" included.

Axtenten

Looks to me like it's one of the quick access folders.
You should be able to unpin it. (I wouldn't recommend deleting it. It may delete everything in there.) THen create a new quick access Folder Called Video and have the "C;\Users\green\Video" included.
I don't think it's the quick access folder in this screenshot below.

https://gyazo.com/2bd55c0ef29b9d30cb85560091e3d7da

it's part of This PC, as you see I have 2 file name music, one on the right is supposed to be videos, but no matter how I changed the name. it wont do it....but when I add a file or .txt into one of the folder, it duplicated and it's inside 2 music folder. When I delete 1 of the file from music folder, it deletes from both of em.

Axtenten,

I'm not if this will get your problem sorted, but it looks to be the correct place to look. And I don't recommend playing with the registry, so you have been warned.

Open the regedit app. I believe there are two places you need to visit to fix your problem. They are ...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Axtenten

Axtenten,

I'm not if this will get your problem sorted, but it looks to be the correct place to look. And I don't recommend playing with the registry, so you have been warned.

Open the regedit app. I believe there are two places you need to visit to fix your problem. They are ...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Is this something you have done before, or where did u get this info ? it's already worst as it is, I just want to make sure this really works.

From my years of experience and helping the staff and faculty at the university I worked at, I have had to resolve many "accidental" changes the users made. They never did the stuff maliciously, but they did need to undo it. There are loads of ways to shoot yourself in the foot accidentally, as you learned.

In your case, you should be able to see all the folders from This PC in the registry key, locate the duplicate, and delete it. You should only need to look at the key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. And if you are concerned it may be the wrong thing to change, you can save the registry key, and then later restore the key. Right-click on User Shell Folders. and click Export. Save the key someplace where you locate it if needed. If you find the change is wrong, use RegEdit again, at the top click File, Import, and import the saved key. Pretty simple stuff.

Finally, there is a free tool called Winaero Tweaker that allows you to make a plethora of changes to your PC. It really is amazing at how many things can be adjusted to specific preferences in Windows. The link to Winareo Tweaker is here: https://winaerotweaker.com/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online