1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't change update settings in a newly installed Win-7 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Riverglen, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I recently purchased a refurbished Win-7 Professional system. The system as purchased was the 64 bit version, but since much of the software I use is very old, and won't run in a 64 bit system, I immediately reinstalled the 32 bit version of Win-7 Pro. Everything went fine, and the system has been activated with no problems.

But, when I went to the Windows Update function from the control panel, I discovered that I can't reset the update policy from the default Automatic Update to my preferred setting of "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". The Change Settings page displays a highlighted line "Some settings are managed by your system administrator".

Problem is, I am the only administrator/user of the system. It is connected to my own local network, and will be entirely dedicated to typical home use. The only account on the system is the account that was established as part of the initial setup.

So, what do I have to do to establish full control of my own system. I am very concerned that there may be other "Administrator Only" settings to be tripped over. Curiously, the UAC settings are unrestricted.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

A clean install or Windows only

3. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Hi again

(re. the printer problem, I don't think the thing is worth trying to salvage)

I don't understand the distinction you're making between a "clean install" vs "windows only".

The Windows install was a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, from a freshly downloaded ISO. Prior to the install, I had played around a little with the 64 bit version, and I had the same restriction as I'm having with the 32 bit install. Otherwise, the 32 bit install seems to be working just fine.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

5. Macboatmaster

I would NOT recommend registry changes using regedit

As you have Pro you have access to Group Policy Editor
    go to this screen and check what is shown please for the highlighted item - configure automatic updates
    If you check configuration there and in another part of GP I think we can have it set how you wish
    Changing configurations in GP is in effect changing a registry value but it is far less risky than using regedit

If of course you are familiar with the registry and know exactly what you are doing then that is OK
    If you are NOT then my advice has always been - do not try it.
    Untitled.png

So that is start button type
    gpedit.msc
    right click and click run as admin when it appears above
    then when the GUI of GPedit opens
    navigate to
    Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Update, Configure Automatic Updates

and you will be as on my screenshot
    Post back with what is shown when you open that entry by double click on it

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Found the group policy you indicated. Have the screenshot per your request but having trouble including in this reply. The image tool is asking for an image URL. What is that, when the image is a local file?

In any case, all of the items in the Windows Update category show up as "Not Configured". Reading through the configuration options, it is still unclear which one will simply remove the restriction on setting the update policy from the control panel Windows Update tool.

Will send the screenshot if I can figure out how to get it into a reply

8. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Thanks Frank,

I actually did find and read your install tips post, but by the time I found it I had already done the install. Well worth reading though.

Step 8 of your recipe is where I'm having trouble. The first control, where you should be able to select the option to "Check for updates but let me choose...." is greyed out and unavailable. All of the other settings are live.

9. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Sometimes things are so obvious you see right through them. Like an elephant in a bank lobby.

Attached Files:

10. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Read the options more carefully, and configuring to option 5 activates the control for changing the update policy as desired.

My only remaining question is why I wasn't able to do this without the restrictions. Is there some sort of distinction between a full powered Administrator and a "Local Administrator" as alluded to in the group policy tool? The only account on the machine is the one established in the install process, which has Administrator privileges. Why then is it necessary (or is it?) to "Run as Administrator" to invoke gpedit?

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The administrator account created during the install is hidden and disabled so if you want to do something higher than your account with "some" administrative privileges, you have to right click at times and choose Run as administrator to use the hidden account.

12. Macboatmaster

The user account with admin rights is not full admin rights and that is why you often see the windows asking for permission to proceed
    It should work as it is NOT configured and you then elect in control panel windows updates - change update policy on the left pane
    Try setting it 5 which if you read you will see is what you want

Be aware that this setting does not take effect until you have shut down and rebooted

I am unsure as to why on a clean install with a completely blank - ie no partitions before the install created them, this has occurred
    I can completely understand HOW it was on the original installed system
    All it would need is for the system admin to create the policy that it could not be changed

What puzzles me is how you get it now.
    That is why I asked was it a clean install, as if you simply select the existing windows partition that is different

The hidden account to which my colleague refers is a system admin account, this has different rights to your user account with admin rights, however it is a separate account and if the configuration was made in that account using control panel, change update settings, it would not apply to other users and therefore would be of no real use, as using the system account on a daily basis is unwise, as if that account profile becomes corrupted you are in REAL trouble.

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

Windows is trying to play it safe. Even when signed in on a admin type account, it does not employ the full admin rights to programs you run. That has benefits. You may run an unknown program or a malware infected program and if it gets full admin rights it can infect the machine very deeply. So Windows pops up a prompt and asks you before using your admin rights, or you specifically right click and choose to run a program with admin rights.

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I have no need for and never use Group Policy Editor, so I'll stay out of that part of the discussion.

---------------------------------------------------------------

15. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    This little problem has turned into a very helpful learning experience for me. I had been aware of the hidden Administrator account, but unclear distinction between that level of privilege and the privilege level of the individual user account that is established when the machine was set up. It would be nice if Windows made the distinction between "System Administrator" and "Local Administrator" more obvious.

Regarding the question of "how we got here", the machine as delivered took me through the typical setup steps that you would go through when installing the operating system (set a machine name, user name, specify time zone, etc.). When I arrived at the desktop, there were a couple of trialware programs installed, apparently by the refurbisher. There were a couple of extra partitions, named Recover and System.

I did my install by running the setup routine on the ISO disk, from within the 64-bit system. That took me through the same setup steps that I had done to get the 64 bit system going. The resulting desktop at the completion of the install was entirely blank. Not even a trash bin. But this apparently doesn't correspond to your definition of a clean install. Even so, it's hard to see how any sort of configuration settings could have survived the reinstall.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice