Can't chose Welcome screen in XP - get error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

radradrad

Hi. Here's my problem. I was on the computer last night (use XP). I had been using Google Earth, but only mention that incidentally -- may not have anything to do with my problem. Anyway, when I signed-on again, instead of having the normal XP welcome screen with my computer name as on choice, and "Guest" as another, I got what they call he "calssic login screen". I did not initiate that change, and tried to change it back. I went to control panel, then "User accounts" then clicked on "change the way users log on and off". I immediately get a McAfee box pop up htat says "A suspicious script has been detected! The file mshta.exe contains suspicious ativity and has been stopped." I then have several options: 1. Stop this script 2. Allow entire script this time 3. Find out more info and 4. Continue what I was doing. If I clck on the "find out more info", I get a box that says that the file mshta.exe was stopped. It says I can 'allow it' to execute the entire script or 'cancel' to "execute only the current method. If I click 'allow', I get a box that says "A recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: C:\WINDOWS\system32\BCMLogon.dll". Obviously, this is a dead end for me. I did not install any new program !
OK, the other option I have is to clock on "Find more info". If I do that, I get the same thing. A couple times (don't ask me why) I get a box that says "idWelcomeGroup is undefined".
I tried disabling my virus scan and firewall, but that didn't seem to help. To further complicate matters, I think i have two virus programs. One McAfee that cam with my Dell, and I know AOL now provides some free McAfee software. I think the AOL stuff works prety good as my pop-ups have all but disappeared, but I'm not sure when i am seeing the Mcafee that came with the Dell, and when i am seeing the AOL one -- and don't want to screw-up the AOL one since it has been so helpful.
I did not install any new programs. All this happened after I had been using GOogle Earth a bit -- nothing else. How can I get back to my normal weelcome screen ?? Thank you for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online