1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Complete XP Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HannasMom5275, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HannasMom5275

HannasMom5275 Thread Starter

Hi, I just recently was given a Dell laptop which had Vista on it; but, was factory set with XP Pro. I prefer XP Pro and tried to install/reinstall it; but, for whatever reason the installation can't copy alot of the files needed for the complete installation. I didn't use a "DELL" disk. Does this make a difference and can this be corrected? If it can be corrected, can I do it; or do I need to take it to someone else? Thank you in advance.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Where did you get this CD with XP pro, that you are trying to install XP with?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Since its a dell computer a dell branded oem would work much better. if you cant find one you might see if you can get restore/recovery disks for your model of computer.You will also need all of the correct drivers for that model which you can find on the dell website under support drivers and downloads.if it now has vista on it and came with xp originally its very possible the restore/recovery partition that had xp on it is long gone.as was asked above we need to know what type of disk you are using to install this with.

4. HannasMom5275

I got the DVD on ebay. It just says Windows XP Pro dvd.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Obviously not very original or genuine, as XP comes on CD. See if you can borrow an XP Pro from somebody and use the Product Key that should be on a sticker on the PC.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would try and see if you can get a refund or maybe report the seller.obviously you didnt get what you paid for. only vista and windows 7 come on dvds.xp is always on a cd.on ebay when buying an operating system it pays to be very cautious and ask questions if you arent sure. if they arent answered to your satisfaction that should be a red flag to go elsewhere.

7. HannasMom5275

I actually DID ask many questions before I bought; but, not being very computer saavy, I didn't realize that XP came only as a CD. Plus part of the fault is my own as I didn't realize it was a DVD. Anyway, it sounds as if I may be able to correct the problem by using a genuine DELL XP CD right? Just making sure I understand correctly.

8. HannasMom5275

Oh, I forgot to ask: Should it be a FULL version?

9. HannasMom5275

Another question: If there's a product key already in the computer will it allow the install with another key?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Product key currently in use is for Vista. So you will have to use a different (XP) key when you install XP.

By FULL version do you mean full price vs. an update (discounted price) one? If that's what you mean, I do not believe it matters, but I've never dealt with an Update XP CD.

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If you use a genuine dell oem xp cd it has to be the version thats on the COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop for example windows xp home or professional.and yes that will take care of the problem and using a dell oem on a dell computer it wont have to be activated except in rare cases.unless im wrong an oem version is a full version of the operating system.If the product key is needed you will have to use the key thats on the sticker on the laptop provided that its a xp key.before you do the reinstall make sure you have all of the correct drivers for your model of computer handy. you can go to the dell website and look under support drivers and downloads to get the drivers needed. put them on a cd so that in the future you wont have to go hunting around for them again.after the reinstall and you have put in all of the drivers you will need to download and put in xp sp3 to get all of the needed updates for your computer if the disk you use doesnt have it already in it.

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If the computer originally came with xp in it and the COA sticker has an xp product key in it i dont think an upgrade version should be needed because basically its getting downgraded or being reverted back to xp the way i see it.i had to use an upgrade windows xp version only once years ago because i was using an old laptop that came with windows 98 SE. but those are going to be very hard to find now as are any windows xp cds.

13. HannasMom5275

I'd like to thank everyone that helped me with this problem. I greatly appreciate it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice