1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant connect 2 computers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1902, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1902

1902 Thread Starter

Hi, Im new and I do not know if this is the right area, if not maybe the moderator can move it to the right spot.
    I have a Dell 2400 desktop and using winxp
    I also have a Dell Insiron 5100 laptop with winxp
    When I first got them both, a computer man here in town sold me a cable that connected the 2 together, everything worked fine till I messed up the laptop (I deleted the wrong account and had to reload windows), then I had a problem with the desktop and had to do the same. Before all this I was able to "Communicate" between the 2, now I cant. I can not remember how to set it up, all I remember is that I had to go somewhere and create a share folder. Can youn help me set it back up? I looked through some of the forum first for an answer, but this seems to be a rather large forum.
    Thanks, 1902

Did you know that Doppler used the shifting of the white light in the spectrum to prove that our universe is expanding in all directions at the rate of 1 million miles per hour?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Open My Computer and right click on a drive you wish to share. Select Sharing and create a new share.

3. 1902

1902 Thread Starter

I tried, but they still do not see each other, When I click on start (On my laptop), my network place, veiw network connections I see 3 connections
    va.net
    local area connection
    1394 connection

When I do the same on my desktop, I get
    va.net
    local area connection
    but NOT the 1394 connection.

When I try to click network computers (On laptop) I get an error message that says mshome is unacessable, you may need to ask an administrator for permission
    Recon it could be the 1394 connection missing from the desktop, if so how do I install it? Also if need be I would accept a collect call on a landline to help walk me through this

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, make sure you turn of XP's firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

Also, it wasn't Doppler but Edwin Hubble in the late 1920's that showed a "Doppler red shift"

5. 1902

1902 Thread Starter

I Will try your suggestion. By the way, hats off to you, it was Hubble, Doppler was to do with the shift in sound waves as an object approaches and then moves away,I stand corrected, nice to know there are others that share my interest (I love science and math), thanks

What is a manually operated horizontal frozen precipitation diversion unit?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/234314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice