Cant connect 2 pcs running xp home edition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yip328

I have trouble connecting 2 pcs for files and printers sharing. They are running windows xp home edition. They can connect internet but cant connect each other. They can ping the default gateway ip and their own ip, cant ping each other's ip. Client for ms network, file and printer sharing, netbeui and tcp/ip are already installed. Workgroup name are the same, same login username and password with administrator rights. Please help.

What kind of cables are you using to connect the two computers?
Are you using a router? Sounds like you have the setup correct so must be in the external connections.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Turn off the XP firewall and use something like ZoneAlarm. That way, you can put your local IP addresses in the trusted zone so you can do file sharing.

Do you have the "Direct cable connection" installed (comes with windows)? Also, if you are going from the network card in pc1 to the network card in pc2 are you using a CAT5 cross-over cable? cause you need to
To create a Direct Cable Connection, (you may need XP cd)
open Network Connections
Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, then click next
Click "Setup an advanced connection", click "next"
Click "Connect Directly to another computer", click "Next", then follow the instructions in the New connection Wizard.
NOTE:
To open network connections, click START, Control Panel, Network Connections.
You must have Admin rights

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think he's connected with Ethernet, DCC isn't going to do the job here. :)

Are the computer's workgroups named the same? They must have the same Workgroup name or they will not see each other.

Sure does. I have 3 XP machines networked. You must envoke sharing on every folder you want to share.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, you just turn of Simple Sharing or Stupid Sharing, and it acts just like W2K. The thing that XP-Home doesn't do network-wise is log onto a domain.

One other small thing. If you plan on using internet connection sharing "ICS" as well, and you want to use Zone Alarm as your firewall, You will need to use Zone Alarm Pro. The free version won't work with "ICS".

John

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Good call on the free ZoneAlarm, I'm not an ICS user, so I don't think of those things. :)

I found out the hard way :rolleyes: .
I just install my first home network, no router just two machines with Linksys wireless PCI cards. It worked great just by letting windows do the setup for me. I didn't find out about Zone Alarm untill I had problems getting the client computer on the internet.

John

It would be nice to hear from the person who made the origional post. He/she has probably solved their problem and moved on to bigger and better things.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online