1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant connect 2 pcs running xp home edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yip328, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yip328

yip328 Thread Starter

I have trouble connecting 2 pcs for files and printers sharing. They are running windows xp home edition. They can connect internet but cant connect each other. They can ping the default gateway ip and their own ip, cant ping each other's ip. Client for ms network, file and printer sharing, netbeui and tcp/ip are already installed. Workgroup name are the same, same login username and password with administrator rights. Please help.

2. jdgriff

jdgriff

What kind of cables are you using to connect the two computers?
    Are you using a router? Sounds like you have the setup correct so must be in the external connections.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Turn off the XP firewall and use something like ZoneAlarm. That way, you can put your local IP addresses in the trusted zone so you can do file sharing.

4. Krall

Krall

Do you have the "Direct cable connection" installed (comes with windows)? Also, if you are going from the network card in pc1 to the network card in pc2 are you using a CAT5 cross-over cable? cause you need to
    To create a Direct Cable Connection, (you may need XP cd)
    open Network Connections
    Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, then click next
    Click "Setup an advanced connection", click "next"
    Click "Connect Directly to another computer", click "Next", then follow the instructions in the New connection Wizard.
    NOTE:
    To open network connections, click START, Control Panel, Network Connections.
    You must have Admin rights

5. JohnWill

I think he's connected with Ethernet, DCC isn't going to do the job here. :)

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

Are the computer's workgroups named the same? They must have the same Workgroup name or they will not see each other.

7. Wirelessguy

Wirelessguy

I didn't think XP Home could do file sharing. I've had trouble with this in the past.

8. Emtronics

Emtronics

Sure does. I have 3 XP machines networked. You must envoke sharing on every folder you want to share.

9. JohnWill

Actually, you just turn of Simple Sharing or Stupid Sharing, and it acts just like W2K. The thing that XP-Home doesn't do network-wise is log onto a domain.

10. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

One other small thing. If you plan on using internet connection sharing "ICS" as well, and you want to use Zone Alarm as your firewall, You will need to use Zone Alarm Pro. The free version won't work with "ICS".

John

11. JohnWill

Good call on the free ZoneAlarm, I'm not an ICS user, so I don't think of those things. :)

12. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

I found out the hard way :rolleyes: .
    I just install my first home network, no router just two machines with Linksys wireless PCI cards. It worked great just by letting windows do the setup for me. I didn't find out about Zone Alarm untill I had problems getting the client computer on the internet.

John

13. jdgriff

jdgriff

It would be nice to hear from the person who made the origional post. He/she has probably solved their problem and moved on to bigger and better things.

14. yip328

yip328 Thread Starter

Problem solved. Using "network setup wizard" can do. Thank you.

15. Emtronics

Emtronics

Well...there ya go! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice