1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't Connect After Factory Reset

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BML, Nov 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

I have an old netbook running win XP that I haven't used in a while. I wanted to get it ready to sell. Hardware is fine, internet was ok, no problems. It is an Acer One with the built-in restore partition. So I did a full restore and re-install and the only thing not working is the wireless internet. It can locate my router and connect, but not go online. So I used the windows network diagnostic and it said there is likely a firewall problem as it cannot connect using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443), and FTP port (21).

My windows firewall was turned off. I turned it on and created exceptions for those ports but it still doesn't work. When I click on the wireless connection status, it says connected, 54mbps speed, so it appears to be connected but IE browser cannot connect to any sites.

How can I fix this?

***Update: I clicked on "repair connection" and then tried again. I was able to go to Google.com and update.microsoft.com but that's it. All other pages are unreachable, even if I click on "news" from the top of Google's homepage.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the exact SNID number and serial number on that "Acer One" netbook?

Is Service Pack 3(SP3) for Windows XP installed?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. BML

BML Thread Starter

The SNID is 90706802325, and the S/N is LUS050B228907109B72547
    From what I can tell it has SP3 installed.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Both of those numbers are "not found" at the Acer support site.
    That means those numbers are incorrect, or more likely that your Acer Aspire One netbook is more than 10 years old.

Right-click "My Computer", then click Properties.
    When the small window appears, it should show if SP3 is installed.
    Does it?

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the "Network Adapters" heading.
    What are the exact names of the ethernet and wireless devices listed there?

What is the exact model number of that Acer Aspire One netbook?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. BML

BML Thread Starter

The manufacturing date on the SNID sticker is "09-02" which would be February 2009. The original purchaser was just a couple months later and I bought it off them a few months after that. It is definitely SP3.

I think I solved the problem. Its a browser issue with it being outdated. It was definitely able to access the internet because this morning Windows had 120 updates downloaded. After that, Internet Explorer was updated to version 8 and I could go to a page like google.com but not any others. So I downloaded Chrome and that browser works. I tried importing the Firefox install file from a thumb drive but it won't open for some reason. (I had FF working on it before). I guess its ok as long as I have a way to access the internet on it to show its a fully functioning unit.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The only known browser that is supported and kept up-to-date and works in almost all websites with Windows XP SP3 32-bit is Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.3.8.2000

Internet Explorer 9 and Mozilla Firefox ESR and Google Chrome and other browsers are too outdated and no longer supported and will not display many websites.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Another browser, similar to FF that works and is kept up to date that works on XP is MyPal. If you are familiar with FF then MyPal should seem familiar.
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mypal.html

I've installed it on my XP computer last month to see how it worked. It was fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice