1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect anymore to Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by palacie, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. palacie

palacie Thread Starter

Since I had to reinstall Internet Explorer awhile back, due to a crash, nothing has worked the same with Outlook Express. I used to be able to transfer automatically when connected to my ISP, to Outlook. Since reinstalling IE5.5, when I tried to open OE, I got an error message: Unable to get the Dial-up Network information needed to dial Surfbest Internet Services". When I clicked "OK", it would then dial my ISP, even tho I was already connected to it. A few days ago, I saw that the telephone # in Outlook didn't have the required *70 to disable call waiting. So, dumb me, added that, thinking maybe that would fix my ongoing problem. Ever since, I can't connect to Outlook Express at all and when I connect to my ISP it now has added an EXTRA '70' to the dial-up #. I tried to modify it and it will accept the change once and allow me to log on to the network but the next time, there it is again. I went to Dial-Up Networking and all looks correct there. I checked the Control Panel for Mail & Telephony settings and that was ok too. Today, I got a call from someone saying that my phone is dialing HER # and if I don't stop harrassing her, she'll report me to the Police Department! Sorry this is so long; didn't know how to make it shorter. Can somebody, PLEASE, HELP?

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Ill take a stab. Where exactly did you change the phone #? In IE>tools>internet options>programs tab>is OE set as your default email? When/if you can access OE, is work offline checked under file? If you cant access OE, have a look here and see if anything helps.

http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe5/problems/performance.htm

3. palacie

palacie Thread Starter

Hi Doyce....I believe I changed the number while in Outlook Express but my mistake transferred itself to my SurfBest connection on the desktop. Now, I can't find anyplace in Outlook Express where I can change the number back to where it was. Yes, in IE, Outlook is listed as the default mail server. I tried that link you suggested but there was nothing there which applied to my problem. Do you think it might solve the problem if I deleted SurfBest in Dial-up Networking and set up a new connection with the correct number? Thanks so much for trying to help me.

4. palacie

palacie Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to say that "work offline" in Outlook Express is NOT checked.

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

In IE, go to tools>internet options>connections>settings>properties>change the phone number.

Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x comes with a repair tool. To use to it, go to the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel; Scroll and click to highlight 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x' in the Install/Uninstall window; Then click on the Add/Remove button; Select 'Repair' the current installation of Internet Explorer radio button; Click on OK.

6. palacie

palacie Thread Starter

Yes, all was correct in Internet Explorer. How about deleting my connection in Dial-Up Networking and setting up a new one with the correct number? Would that work? Thanks, again.

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Cant hurt. Im at a loss here.

8. bigtuna420

bigtuna420

bring up oe, go to tools-accounts-and click the mail tab. from there click properties and click the connection tab at the top and remove the check from always connect to this account using.

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Darn. :mad:

bigtuna420, I think your right. :D

Welcome to TSG.:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice