1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect at all (ftp)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by affer, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. affer

affer Thread Starter

I'm going a bit crazy here, so if anyone can help.. it would be appreciated.

I am trying to use a ftp program (any ftp program) under Windows xp pro (sp2) & having nothing but problems. My ftp program will work fine for several sessions or sometimes a few days, then for no discernable reason it will fail for a number of days, with a Connection refused, Winsock error# 10061 message. I get the same error for any ftp site (lan or wan). I have the windows firewall disabled & am using the PORT mode. And after a while, it will simply start working again. Ghosts? This seems to be a windows issue, as my linux machine has no problem connecting with ftp on my lan or to the net. But on my windows xp pro computer.. ftp will work fine for a number of sessions, then fail for a number of days. Which makes it less than useful.

No spyware (lavasoft scan with current defintions) or viruses (norton & avg scans, with current definitions). No scandisk errors. No other programs or windows features exhibiting any problems. Web browsers (firefox & IE) work fine. NNTP works fine. Replaced the winsock files & registry keys anyway. No change. Checked the hosts file. Windows firewall had explicit permissions for both ftp port & ftp program. I have now disabled the windows firewall - no change. Checked all of the firewall features in norton - no change. So I uninstalled norton entirely - no change. ISP is not blocking ports. Reinstalled the ftp program (ftp commander) - no change. Tried filezilla, cute ftp & smart ftp programs - same behavior. Ensured that I am using the PORT mode (also tried passive mode) - no change. Ran windows xp install in repair mode - no change. Shut down all processes, except essential windows components - no luck.

Tried setting explicit port forwarding in my router - no change. Linux always works. Windows is still erratic. Spent some quality time with windows update, I have all of the security updates installed. Lots of reboots. Rebooted the router & modem too. Doesn't appear to be anything useful in the windows event or ftp program logs.

Can anyone think of something that I am missing here?

(Thanks)

2. affer

affer Thread Starter

I see that ftp does work from the windows command line (in a dos window). But none of the windows clients work (most of the time). Which would seem to rule out router issues, unless there is some fundamental difference in the ftp protocol as implemented in CLI vs. the windows ftp programs.

Still scratching my head over this one..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice