Solved Can't connect/cast my laptop screen to LG Smart TV

orangeCat1

I also think Smart Share is old and a newer replacement is built in to the LG tv.

I have watched the video in #44 before. And his easy comment has stuck with me -- for a week or more now.
If i right click in a free area of the screen, I get to the Display option in Settings where I can Connect to a wireless display--which takes me to the same screen that Notifications-CONNECT does -- it searches and searches but never finds a display.

Last edited:

orangeCat1

This video
shows another series of options that I don't have.
I have some of the things in different order or in a submenu. I don't have a Connection option that he shows.

My issue is similar to these two in his comments area:

Colour Chaos
1 year ago (edited)

@UnTech Meda thanks for the reply, the laptop and TV are both on the same WiFi network. Network sharing settings turned on, media sharing settings turned on, firewall checked, all drivers / firmware and operating systems up to date, turned on optional features for wireless display. I can play media on the TV that's stored on the laptop - just not able to screen share my laptop. I checked that the TV model can accept screen share which it can (I can mirror my phone to the TV without any issues).

UnTech Meda

1 year ago

@Colour Chaos Hi Sean, you changed your channel name, you confused me :), no worries, here is one option, which you can try, hope it works. On your laptop, click Starrt -> Settings and click "Devices" and click Bluetooth or other device, your TV should get listed, which you can select and share your screen.
Yes I agree it should, but it doesn't.

orangeCat1

Yes. Unplugged TV, shut down the laptop and unplugged the modem. Waited ~ 1 minute, then plugged in TV, then modem, then rebooted the laptop. Same issue persists. Here're pngs of Win 10 devices and modem set up for those devices from the modem report. When trying CONNECT from Notifications, no devices are found.
Devices_settings.PNG
Devices_settings.PNGDEvices_Modem.PNG

orangeCat1

I spoke with LG rep this morning. I explained that the TV was bought in Sep 2021, the LG software was up to date(did the software update hen i received a notice on the TV) and that the Lenovo ,although 6 yrs old, was on latest Win 10 20H2 and updated yesterday. I mentioned that I had done mirroring with the Iphone and AirPlay. Her comment was that mirroring is built in to the TV and no special app was required. As long a laptop and TV were on same network I just need to click Connect and then select the TV. I was happy to hear it was built in, but said there were no devices listed when I tried CONNECT. Because the TV could connect to the Iphone, she said the TV was working fine. Her suggestion was to talk to Lenovo.

I asked again about the Iphone and the use of the AirPlay app -Is it possible there is an app for mirroring with the PC. Again she confirmed that was all built in to the TV.

So my feeling now is there is some setting - whether modem related "McAfee protection" or firewall setting or some WIN 10 feature that is preventing the laptop from seeing the TV??? McAfee is supplied by the Internet provider as part of the service. It is up to date also.

Last edited:

orangeCat1

That is not a selectable item. If I do click on that, the only thing that changes is a new button option to Remove Device.

orangeCat1

I am out of ideas (sorry)
have you seen this about adding tv as device
https://www.lifewire.com/screen-mirroring-lg-smart-tvs-4770959
Scroll down to
Screen Mirroring From PC to an LG Smart TV
Yes I saw that. There is no Screen share app per se. The LG rep told me it is built in. As I said all the videos I've seen mention Screen Share, but I don't have one in my list of apps/options and LG says it's automatically in the TV now.

I had another video in my Youtube recommendations this morning. Again it deals with Screen Share. It apears from the video and comments that I'm not the only one experiencing "issues".

I wanted to get this laptop functioning, but it's becoming more of a frustrating project. It was my main laptop(lenovo z710 ~2014), but I have just acquired another(Dell 7706). Just tried it and it works without issue. Both I7, both win 10 20H2????

I guess I'll just move on. Thanks for your efforts.

Last edited:
Just tried it and it works without issue. Both I7, both win 10 20H2????
My last thought was can you borrow a laptop. So to be 100% Certain you can mirror to LG from Dell - correct?
Ok on your lenovo turn off all antivirus and firewall - Test
If it works enable firewall reboot test.
if it works enable antivirus reboot test.

Drabdr

Brad
Great assistance given here, Peter. Nice job!

So if I follow, the Dell laptop mirrors to the TV no problem, but the Lenovo does not. Correct?

orangeCat1

Great assistance given here, Peter. Nice job!

So if I follow, the Dell laptop mirrors to the TV no problem, but the Lenovo does not. Correct?
Yes that is correct. The Dell even shows Miricast in devices.
Dell7706Devices.PNG

I'm just changing from Lenovo to the Dell as main computer. Lenovo will continue to be a backup/secondary. I have had some issues with Firefox in this changeover that have caused the screencast issue to lower priority.

I will try removing antivirus and firewall software and try again.
I agree PeterOz has been helpful.

Drabdr

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online