Solved Can't connect/cast my laptop screen to LG Smart TV

orangeCat1

Brad,

Thanks for responding. I have tried the CONNECT in the notifications area several times - the LG TV is not there. The TV (new Sep21/build Jul21) LG Nano 55" is recognized immediately by the new Dell laptop. The Lenovo(2014 vintage also running WIN 10 20H2) does not see the TV. I have McAfee Protection supplied by Internet provider, and have turned off Firewall and antivirus with no change in finding the TV.

The Lenovo article your referenced is interesting. If mirroring is not dependent on WiFi/router, would you expect any difference when shutting off the modem? The Lenovo laptop is less than 10 ft from the TV.

Here is Lenovo info:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20201130133136.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M
Hard Drives: C: 488 GB (383 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO Durian 7A1, ver 31900058Std, s/n AB20639180
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n 128570830183
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

3:07 PM EST Canada
UPDATE: I tried again from Settings devices right side list Device and Printers and add the LG TV-- it gets added as a bluetooth Sound Device-- if I play a sound on the Lenovo it immediately goes to the TV. Incremental advance, but not what I need.

Last edited:

Drabdr

Brad
Hello Orangecat1!

I hate worse than anything to accept defeat. :D But I cannot find anything anywhere... as to why that TV doesn't show up on your Lenovo. I'm so sorry. But at least your Dell can accomplish what you need!

orangeCat1

I 'm with you on that --hate being bested by the computer/software. I'm going to remove the devices from the Lenovo, then try adding them back. In the devices list it shows up as an audio, bluetooth device. I think it should show up as a Display device. As I told Peter, I have an older Samsung TV- it can be recognized if I set its input to screen mirroring manually. But the LG doesn't have a separate -set input to screen mirroring (supposedly all included in the LG TV OS/etc).

Drabdr

Brad
I 'm with you on that --hate being bested by the computer/software. I'm going to remove the devices from the Lenovo, then try adding them back. In the devices list it shows up as an audio, bluetooth device. I think it should show up as a Display device. As I told Peter, I have an older Samsung TV- it can be recognized if I set its input to screen mirroring manually. But the LG doesn't have a separate -set input to screen mirroring (supposedly all included in the LG TV OS/etc).
I thought I saw in post #61 that the TV was like brand new (" The TV (new Sep21/build Jul21) LG Nano 55" "). Is that not accurate?

If it is that new, there should be zero issues working with the Lenovo, from what I see.

orangeCat1

Yes and yes I agree there should be no issue, but it isn't found or recognized.
Both devices are identified on my modem admin screen, but the LG TV is not being seen as a Display device. It did show up as an audio/bluetooth device -- I have removed that from the devices in WIN 10 today. It seemed whenever I moved the Lenovo, the TV interrupted and showed a screen about listening to music, so I removed the device from windows settings.

Drabdr

Brad
I wonder if the latest driver for the TV might somehow be corrupted. It would be telling if you had access to another smart TV. Then it could be determined whether the TV or the Lenovo is the culprit.

I believe I read earlier that Peter suggested connecting with an HDMI cable and it worked fine. Is that accurate or did I get that wrong?

orangeCat1

The TV is fine when I try to CONNECT with the new Dell-just as expected.
I have not tried the Lenovo to TV via HDMI cable --I want to CONNECT wirelessly.
The Lenovo can CONNECT to the older Samsung wirelessly if I set the Samsung to accept input to Screen mirroring.

orangeCat1

Thanks for continued interest Peter. I have run Lenovo checkup and diagnostics. All updates are current, everything passed diagnostics successfully. I also have WIN updates set to automatic which is a recommendation from Lenovo. Windows is currently up to date.

Since the Lenovo can CONNECT wirelessly to the older Samsung, I don't think it's a major request for it to be able to CONNECT wirelessly to a brand new LG Smart TV.
LG assures me the TV is working properly. The Lenovo diagnostics and the fact it can CONNECT to the Samsung TV lead me to believe the Lenovo is working OK. I guess that leaves only the "middle man" the wireless network or modem or some related thing. I am not a network person, (nor TV etc, etc) so I'm grasping for some thing that is missing in my set up. According to the youtube videos and articles on this subject "It's easy--you just select the wireless display to CONNECT to". Except when it doesn't -- my case exactly!

Just opened the Modem admin screen. I do notice something and haven't found a video/article that says this is/is not an issue.
ModemInfoForWIFINetwork.PNG

Last edited:
Yeah I have been think about that 2.4 & 5
In theory it should not matter that's why I never went down that track BUT!!
If you think of it LL3QHD4 can ping/talk to Dell
LL3QHD4 I trust is the lenovo laptop.
What is the make and model of your modem/router.
I wonder if it has a firewall on.
Also if you remember you could cast 2.4 to 5 via the mp4 and it worked

orangeCat1

LL3QHD4 is the Lenovo Z710
Dell2in1 is the new DELL
Both of these are laptops.
The Sagecom F@st 5250 (Marketed as the "Home Hub 2000") with 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) and 802.11a/n/ac (5 GHz) wireless LAN for connectivity. This is a new modem supplied by my internet provider. The technician replaced the previous modem with new(not refurbished).

Dell2in1 can CONNECT to Samsung and LG TV
LL3QHD4( Lenovo Z710) can CONNECT to Samsung

The Lenovo article you referenced in #71 is great - clear, to the point. But it isn't working on my Lenovo.
Seems, in theory, that I should be able to turn the modem off and still CONNECT my laptop(s) to the Smart TV(s).

Check if your device is Wi-Fi Direct compatible

This is super easy. Fire up the Command Prompt in Administrator mode, then type ipconfig /all and hit the Enter key. Look for Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter to confirm the support for Wi-Fi Direct.

I have confirmed that both laptops have WiFi Direct adapters.

Last edited:
On the lenovo when you look at the available SSID connections with wifi it only shows 2.4ghz and not the 5ghz
If that is true only 2 options left.
Change LG to 2.4 and test or try a 5 network usb dongle - but could be money spent and still not work.

Seems, in theory, that I should be able to turn the modem off and still CONNECT my laptop(s) to the Smart TV(s).
Correct that is how direct wifi works no router needed.

If you look at this here https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/...d-z710-notebook/troubleshoot/ssts-subtopic-33
It shows your network card should be Intel Dual band Wireless- AC 8265.
Which means it should connect to the 5g same as dell.
As Post #73 if you look at available networks you should be able to see your 5g ssid on the lenovo.
You can also check device manager to make sure that this is the wireless card you have.
Open the Command Prompt and type devmgmt.msc
Then click on the + sign next to network Adapters

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts