1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect modem to Orbi RBK50

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cfr67, Dec 3, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. cfr67

cfr67 Thread Starter

I have a TP-Link VR1600v modem issued to me by my internet provider (iiNet). I have tried to connect my Netgear Orbi RBK50 router to this modem to no avail. WiFi from the modem works fine but I cannot get the Orbi to work at all. The WiFi SSID for the Orbi appears but there is no internet connection. I have tried turning off the WiFi on the modem but this also did not work. To make matters worse I cannot access the Orbi login webpage, it just keep reverting to the Netgear webpage. The app also does not work, I can do the setup but that fails in the end. Any ideas / assistance will be greatly appreciated.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    If you want your router to handle all DHCP, Firewall etc. You'll need to set the modem in Bridge Mode. Basically it means that all traffic is sent through to the router which then in turn will handle everything.

Without knowing that modem I'd say that you need to turn firewalls off, WIFI off, and such. I suggest you look at the documentation that came with it. Or call the ISP for them to assist you.

PS: Some, but not all routers require you to connect a bridged modem to a specific port on the router. Typically it'd be port # 1.
    Then again, it probably has a dedicated WAN port you'll need to connect to.

3. cfr67

cfr67 Thread Starter

I tried the bridge mode. According to the manual of the VR1600v modem, I have to enable bridge mode (check), add a new wan link (check), use port 2, but that is already used so I used 1 instead, enable VLAN (check), cloned the MAC address of the modem, disconnected the current connection, enabled the bridged version but again to no avail. Unless there is a step I was missing or there was some options that I wasn't aware of. The manual of both modem and the Orbi says to connect the internet port of the Orbi to the yellow internet port of the VR1600v modem. There is no yellow internet port, but there is a blue WAN port which I found out is the same thing. I am not that tech savvy as you can probably guess.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Some modems REQUIRE that you use port 1. IF the manual states that, then I'd do it.

I did find that all other Vlans must be deleted. Only the one that sets it in Bridge Mode should be present.
    The WAN port is to connect the Incoming signal. Then connect the ORBI's Internet /WAN port to port 1. on the modem. Which connector(s) does the modem have. If you have them you can zip and upload both manuals.

5. cfr67

cfr67 Thread Starter

G'Day Fireflycph,

Here are the manuals for both the VR1600v modem and the Orbi RBK50 router. Thanks for the help so far.

Chris

Attached Files:

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You're welcome, so far. I'll download the files and have a peek.

So I'll return later, hopefully with some new/good info.

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Wow. That manual is very confusing. But here's a link that may help you to setting the TP-Link in bridge mode. Again, make sure you disable Firewall, WIFI, DHCP in it. It may be done automatically but better to just check. It'll be halfway down or so. Make sure you look at the correct modem :)

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Mod...t-up-a-bridge-on-archer-vr1600v/m-p/1653#M109

Lastly, are those two devices the only ones on your network. Not counting devices that use the network. More like Modems, Routers, AP'S and switches.

I guess the gist of it is that you have to go to the [Advanced] settings. THen Internet, and then set the bridge mode there. If you can't find it? Then I'd suggest you call the ISP for assistance.

And, just to satisfy my own curiosity, why do you need the Orbi?

EDIT: I just reread some of the posts. You state that VLAN 2 is already used. WHat do you have connected to it?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice