1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't connect new computer to internet....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by marebear1331, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marebear1331

marebear1331 Thread Starter

PLEASE help!!! I just bought a new computer (Dell Inspiron 530 desk top) it's running XP. I can't connect it to the internet. We have 2 other computers that are connecting perfectly fine. They are a HP laptop running vista, and another that was custom built, running XP. The Dell has a wireless card in it, but it will not allow me to connect to our network (it identifies it, but when i type in the key it says there is limited or no connectivity). When I plug it into the router (D-LINK model # DIR-615) the LAN says limited or no connectivity. I know its not the cable (tried it on one of the other computers it works fine) and its not the port ( tried to connect it to each port and still not getting anythign) PLEASE help me!!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Then, with the cable connected to the router, I'd like to see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice