1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect - no answer at dial-up

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gabby, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gabby

gabby Thread Starter

My daughter has recently moved. We've set up a new Earthlink account and have been trying to connect for several days. We have created several (5) new dial up connections but repeatedly get the same error message. #678 - The computer you are dialing is not answering. Please try again later. We do not have to dial an area code. We have typed the correct user name and password. We have also checked several other things..(tick boxes checked, unchecked, etc.) to no avail. We've also tried 3 different access numbers.

Her former connection was also via Earthlink and she never had a problem. Any suggestions as to what might be the source of the dilemma? Could the phone cord or jack be a problem? There is a dialtone when we hook the cord to a regular phone. How can we know the modem is functioning properly?

When we hit connect, we hear dialing and the beginnings of a hand-shake but then it goes rather high pitched and stops...shortly thereafter we get the error message. She's using a Dell computer/Win 98/56 K modem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Gabby

2. deh

deh

I know you mentioned you don't use area code but must ask the obvious first:
    Are dialing properties disabled.

Right click on the connection icon rather than choosing connect choose Properties

Is the box checked that says Use are code and dialing properties.

If so uncheck and try to connect again.

If it was already unchecked or unchecking does not solve the problem, please respond and we can move further down the troubleshooting tree. :)

3. gabby

gabby Thread Starter

Hello deh and thank you for your response. The tick box you are referring to is unchecked. I wish I could remember everything we did while trying to connect. I worked with 2 different Earthlink tech and they each had me do different things but neither one was any more successful than we had been on our own. If you have add'l suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Thanks again...Gabby

4. deh

deh

Hmmmm off hand without any research don't have a symptom/cure relation however
    the following may be a "cure all":
    Have you tried to uninstall/reinstall dial up networking and tcp/ip?

Make sure you have your 98 disk.

I found an instructional:

http://www.mcdermottroe.com/kb/howto/dun.php

Depending on how comfortable you are you could go by Microsoft's instructions which would be a more thorough uninstall/reinstall. This one is definitely more recommended in my book but is a bit more involved:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181599&Product=w98

5. gabby

gabby Thread Starter

Thanks again. I'll print these instructions and take them along the next time I head over to work with it. Have never done this before but hey...With instructions I figure I can handle it.

Thanks again and please let me know if you come up with anything else for us to try.

Gabby

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice