1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect power cord to HP laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swill902, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swill902

swill902 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have an HP laptop, but the power cord connection has become loose somehow and it makes no connection when I plug it into the laptop. The laptop has absolutely no power and no lights. I tried several different ways to twist and turn the cord into the laptop to make some kind of connection, but it doesn't do anything. What can I do?
    Thanks,
    Sue

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You might have to take it somewhere and have it fixed.i dont think its anything you can do yourself because im thinking the laptop will have to be taken apart and a new connector put in.which if you have never done it before might be quite a job to attempt.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Twisting it and attempting to plug it in while the jack is broken is a good way to ensure that you completely kill the laptop. If you want the laptop to ever work again, take it to a repair shop to have the jack re-soldered back on or replaced with a new one; do not attempt to plug it back in until its fixed.

4. swill902

swill902 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the advice. I really was hoping it was something I can fix because I know it will cost too much to have it repaired. I don't know if this makes sense, but is there any other way to power it, at least temporarily, like some kind of adapter that would plug into one of the other ports, USB or something?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The only thing I can think of is if there is a docking station for your particular laptop. Fitting it into one should let you use it and charge the battery by plugging the power supply into the dock.

What model HP is it ? (post what it says on the bottom).

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Such a dock won't be much different then the price of repairing it at most local computer stores.

7. swill902

swill902 Thread Starter

Ok, I will try to find the prices for both - the docking station and repair.
    Thank you.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. swill902

swill902 Thread Starter

Thank you, you have been so helpful. I will check these options out as well. Hopefully that might be the solution.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1073737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice