1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect through modem.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kingmzz, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kingmzz

Kingmzz Thread Starter

Hello to all,

I have had the same setup (ISP and laptop) for the past 2 years and I haven't had a problem with my router. I have a linksys WRTG510 V8 router. I noticed that my connection was unsecured so I took advice from a random thread on google and now I am unable to connect to my router. I went into the linksys router via http://192.168.1.1 and went to wireless>wireless security>security mode WEP> and then entered a passphrase and generated keys.

Please note that I can connect to the internet directly through my modem. Also someone else in my house has a laptop and can connect to the router wireless.

It says the signal strength is excellent and I should be able to connect, but I cannot.

As you can tell I meant to say I cannot connect to my router, sorry for the confusion.

Here is a screen shot of my info:

[​IMG]

Any help would be great.

Thank you,

Marcus

2. Kingmzz

Kingmzz Thread Starter

To save time I have set my router to default settings by clicking the little button on the back and I have recycled my router/modem and shut the power off of both of them.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The ipconfig /all shows a good IP configuration obtained from the router for both wireless and ethernet.

Before seeing that I was going to say to use the secure WPA-PSK if possible; and if you must use only WEP then use a HEX key, not an ascii passcode as sometimes different devices translate it differently.

4. Kingmzz

Kingmzz Thread Starter

I am computer illiterate, can you please provide step-by-step for vista.

Thank you.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said you were "unable to connect to my router." But the ipconfig /all showed that you were connected to a router by wireless and ethernet. So, what is the current problem?

6. Kingmzz

Kingmzz Thread Starter

It says that I can connect and theres a strong signal but my laptop cannot connect through the router wireless. I have no idea what the problem could be and I don't think I should pay linksys 30 bucks for a one time fee. I can connect directly from my modem (which I am doing now) but not using my router. I have never had this problem until yesterday.

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Any hardware/software changes yesterday.?
    As Terry indicated,your ip config shows good wireless and lan connectivity.But what is the make and model of your modem?
    Is this a dsl connection?
    I assume that this is an ipconfig from the problem pc? with router attached or directly to the modem.From the ipconfig,i would suspect this is modem only.
    If you are trying to interface a dsl modem with a linksys router,perhaps this might be helpful;

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...er/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3687&lid=7783238305B03

8. Kingmzz

Kingmzz Thread Starter

I did everything on that link you gave me and the router still doesn't connect to my computer.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your router is connected to the computer. What's the problem?

10. Kingmzz

Kingmzz Thread Starter

Sigh. I know enough about networking to know that I am not doing something wrong. My roommate can connect to the router but I cannot. Obviously the router works but why won't it connect to my laptop?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    None of us are suggesting you're doing anything wrong; we are just saying that the ipconfig /all you showed indicates apparently two good connections to a router.

Please show for the PC that cannot connect to the router ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

12. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:I am missing something(would not be the first time)
    If the lan and wireless connections were running throught the same router,would not the gateways be the same ipaddrress.
    Looks like the lan is plugged directly into the modem. and the router is plugged ??
    Maybe we should ask how ,exactly the environment is cabled together.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Nice catch, pedroguy! :) :)

Kingmzz, what is the brand and model of your modem? How exactly are the modem, router and computer interconnected? Have you changed any of the LAN defaults on the router?

14. pedroguy

pedroguy

Thanks Terry.My sanity has passed the morning test for the day.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice