1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect through WAN miniport (PPPOE)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pistolpete00, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pistolpete00

pistolpete00 Thread Starter

Hello,
    Two days ago our desktop computer stop having internet access. I called my ISP about this problem and they said that everything was fine with my router and that it might be a bad cable. I bought a new cable and it wasn't the cable. I called my dad's friend who works with computers and he said that he thought the NIC was bad. So we went to Staples and bought a Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adaptor, because that would fix the problem, well i installed all of the software and it didn't and we're stumped on what to do.

Our laptop still gets wifi however when I try to connect on my desktop it says that it can't connect through the WAN miniport PPPOE. It gives me error 815

If anybody has any idea of what to do I'd appreciate it

2. pistolpete00

I forgot to mention it runs on Windows Vista Home Basic

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

4. pistolpete00

I talked to my cousin whose an it guy and he's stumped because in my device manager the connection shows up, but when I ipconfig the ethernet adapter doesn't show up, just tunnel adaptors. Have you ever heard of this?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters?

Yes. Either the connection is disabled in Network Connections or there is an error that I do not know how to fix short of a Windows reinstall.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice