1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to a particular web site

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by clifton65, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clifton65

clifton65 Thread Starter

There is a website that i can access from home, but cannot on any computer at work. i have visited the site before, but it's not accessible anymore. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Like i said, i can access the site from my house.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If the site is not coming up at work, make sure it's not blocked by company policies.

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type cmd /k ipconfig /displaydns

Click OK.

This will show you the DNS cache entries. If that unreachable website is listed in the cache, type cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns in the Run box to clear the cache.

3. clifton65

clifton65 Thread Starter

4. Phantom010

5. clifton65

clifton65 Thread Starter

Yes that worked.

6. clifton65

clifton65 Thread Starter

One more problem. i can get on the website using anonymouse, but it won't let me login.

7. clifton65

clifton65 Thread Starter

Phantom010,
    do you have any other ideas of how i can access this site and be able to log in?

8. Phantom010

Logins will usually not work with Web proxies. I was trying to determine if your IP address was blocked in some way.

You might try contacting the website's administrators to see if they have any knowledge of IP ranges (including yours) that could be blocked by their server software.

9. clifton65

clifton65 Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for your help!

10. Phantom010

Please post back if you find anything. This is a very common problem on the Internet, with very few solutions.

Some have had luck with resetting their router to factory defaults.

If you run a traceroute for that website, it might help you find the location of the breakdown.

11. clifton65

clifton65 Thread Starter

No solution yet. i can't get any help from the site webmaster, because i have to log in to leave a ticket or email support.

Also, i'm not sure if i will be able to reset my router here at work and i don't knpw what a traceroute is. i'll see what i can do with the router.

12. Phantom010

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice