1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to an external IP from just one computer on our network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SoCalChris, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCalChris

SoCalChris Thread Starter

I've got a Windows network that I'm maintaining, and am having an interesting problem with it.

From our Exchange server, I am completely unable to communicate with one of our partner's mail server. I cannot ping it by either the host name or IP address. Trace route times out at the final hop. The firewall is disabled, and antivirus (ESET) is temporarily disabled. I cannot access the IP through the web browser either, everything times out.

However, every other computer on our network can connect fine. I haven't seen any other problems with any other IP addresses, it seems to be only this one that I can't connect to, and only from our Exchange server. All computers are going through the same gateway, using the same internet connection, and using the same DNS servers.

The computer that I'm having the problem on is a static IP. All settings look correct, and match another server that I can access the IP from.

I've checked the hosts file for anything, and it is in it's default state.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm losing my last little bit of hair that I have over this.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. SoCalChris

SoCalChris Thread Starter

I reset the Exchange server's TCP IP stack this morning. After rebooting, it worked. It had switched from a static IP to DHCP though, which won't work for us. Upon changing the IP back to its old static address, the same problem came up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice