1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't connect to belkin router AT ALL! tried everything for hours!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kachowgirl, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kachowgirl

kachowgirl Thread Starter

:confused: I have a Dell Inspiron, Windows 7 laptop, that's about all I know about it. A couple months ago I got a Belkin Surf N300 router, when I first got it I had it set up through Hughes Net and everything worked fine, I had good connecting everywhere I went with my laptop. Now, I no longer have the Hughes Net and I hooked up through a Broadband thing, our desktop computer is connect to it and works perfectly fine, when I go to try and connect to it on my laptop it WILL NOT work, it just says its unable to connect to it. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and some stuff I didn't even know you could change, all I want is to use my laptop :(
    Will some PLEASE help me.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Is the Desktop connected to the router or the modem?

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if foundhere's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. kachowgirl

the desktop is connected to the router, what I don't understand is that I uninstalled the software for the router yesterday on my laptop and then re-installed it and it worked just fine, then later on I went to use it and it wouldn't work, today it keeps asking for the security key and I know I am putting the right one in and it still says unable to connect, I will do what you told me to do though, if I can figure it out. THANK YOU so much though.

4. kachowgirl

The brodband thing is the modem I think? But what I just did was restart my laptop, reset the router and plug it into my laptop and it connected, so currently my laptop is working, thats what im using as of right now, but when it went through the set up with the router its suppose to have a thing that comes up and says "success" well it didn't do that, all it did was say call belkin and we'll give you a hand, but its connected? when I did this yesterday it said "success" and it was connected but after my laptop went to "sleep" it wasn't connected anymore. How do I make it so it just stays connected? If you can't tell this is driving me nuts.

5. kachowgirl

Oh and Kanfaar, I have no idea what an ISP is.

6. kanfaar

kanfaar

Well, I'm sure you're entering the one you used to use for the access key. There are certain circumstances under which it may have changed; so you may just want to double-check that.

You can only do this through a wired connection, so the desktop would probably be a better choice. There should be directions to log onto it, in your router's manual:

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/MAN_F7D6301_v1_8820-00697_Surf_N300_N_Router.pdf

Hope that helps.

P.S. - Sry, kachowgirl, I removed that post, as you answered most of my question(s) while I was typing my response. ISP = Internet Service Provider.

7. kanfaar

kanfaar

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice