Can't connect to certain websites

KiranMungroo

This started happening a few days ago. I hadn’t installed anything new or downloaded anything so I’m not sure what triggered it. My laptop is an Alienware M17 R2. I noticed that certain websites (the ones I’m aware of are YouTube and Discord) wouldn’t load in my browser. For YouTube it just says I’m not connected to the internet and for Discord it just loads forever. When I used inspect element for both I see the error ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED. Here’s a list of the things I’ve tried/found:

• I know it isn’t my WiFi because this isn’t a problem on my brother’s laptop
  • It isn’t browser related since the same problem happens on Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Opera GX
  • If I use a VPN, I don’t have the problem
  • I ran a scan for viruses using windows security, both the full scan and Microsoft defender offline scan; nothing was found
  • I cleared my cache and cookies; didn’t work
  • Ran netsh winsock reset, netsh int ip reset, ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew, ipconfig/flushdns and ipconfig/registerdns in command prompt and restarted; didn’t work
  • Updated all my drivers using Dell Supportassist
  • YouTube sometimes decides to load randomly (I'm not sure what triggers it - it seems completely random), but the thumbnails won't show up
Computer Specs:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20201203013621.000000+240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (602 GB Free); D: 238 GB (211 GB Free);
Motherboard: Alienware Alienware m17 R2, ver A01, s/n 1QRV3Z2.CNCMK009CBA05A.
System: Alienware, ver ALWARE - 1072009, s/n 1QRV3Z2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried using different browsers?

It would be best to contact your ISP regarding this issue at this point. They would likely be better positioned to resolve the problem of you not being able to access certain websites from the Internet browsers. Access may be being blocked beyond your computer or even router to these websites you are referring to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online