1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cant connect to Cisco E1200 Wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tedejc, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tedejc

Tedejc Thread Starter

Lap top Satellite A335

ACPI x64

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30F

Intel 5 4port SATA AHCI

Intel Core i3 CPU M3540 @ 2.275GHz

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN

Got an old laptop that I can't seem to connect on my home wifi. I'm trying to connect it to our Cisco Linksys E1200.

it won't do it saying I need to enter a network security key.?. Nobody seems to know what this is. The community linksys.com site told me how to get to the linksys setup page by way of IE typing http://192.168.1.1 and to go to the wireless security to find out is its WEP, WPA of WPA2 and there it will give me the key that I need. I'm using my old desktop to do this.

Well I'm there now and there is no Key. I get the network name(SSID) and it says 'Cisco52357' but that didn't work and under that it just says 'Security Disabled'. Security Mode is Disabled.

Any suggestions on how I can connect?

I'm Very confused at this point. if the Security is disabled then why is it so difficult to connect to it?

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Based on the laptop specs it comes with an Intel 5100 wifi card which supports up to WPA2 which is the recommended security method to use.

1. Enable WPA2 and set a password
    2. Connect to the Linksys router and when asked for the key, then enter th password you created.

Let us know if this helps or other questions.

3. Tedejc

Tedejc Thread Starter

no, this didn't do anything. hmm
    I set the security to WPA2 personal and put in a paraphrase.
    hit save. and still could not connect.
    Rebooted the Cisco system and tried again, nothing.
    Restarted everything and tried again but I still have no connection.

4. Tedejc

Tedejc Thread Starter

Oh boy. I reset the Linksys wireless and now my desk top can no longer connect. Trying to find the CD to get that up and running again.

If I Can’t find it any idea of what I could do about that?

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    After resetting you should be able to connect as follows

The default IP Address is 192.168.1.1 and the username and password are both admin.

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What version of Windows are you running ?

What wireless adapter is listed under Network Adaptors in Device Manager ?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Untitled.png Indeed as my colleague managed asks
    It is more or less impossible to make suggestions until we know which OS and which wireless adapter.
    It appears you have the Intel Centrino Advanced N-6200 AGN

If that is correct this hardware is legacy and if the OS is Windows 10 - you have very little chance of it ever working correctly
    The cheap and easy answer is to buy a usb connected wireless adapter

When you say
    It is the password for the wireless

You need depending on OS to go Control panel - network and sharing centre and comparing my screenshot with what you see - tell us what adapter and what is shown o0n the windows in my screenshot on your computer
    That said as mentioned, we need the OS the adapter make and model and the information on your computer relevant to my screenshot

9. Tedejc

Tedejc Thread Starter

Thank you dckeks but I wasn't able to get on line until now. I found the disk. that last message I left was at work. I found the disk and set it up all over again. I am able to connect to the lap top by way of Guest only. And thank you for the manual.

the Toshiba Satellite A335. Was originally Windows 7 but the guys at Staples convinced my parrents to upgrade to the windows 10.

10. Tedejc

Tedejc Thread Starter

I think you might be on to something Macboatmaster. My computer desk top is Windows 7 and the lap top I'm trying to connect to the modem is Windows 10. I posted my PC credentials and it looks like I have the 'AMD Athlon II X2 220'. I do not know my way around Windows 10 and have not been able to find out what OS is yet.

What I do not understand is that it's the Broadband that's got the green check mark that also is saying 'Disconnected", the a Properties Screen is blank under General, yet I'm on line with you all now?
    First.PNG Second.PNG Local.PNG

11. Tedejc

Tedejc Thread Starter

My desk top's credentials.

Basic Info.PNG

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    There is no Windows 10 driver for the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN wireless card.
    Check if that card is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters please and if it is there will probably be a yellow ! next to it and an error saying the drivers aren't installed, or it could be listed under Unknown Devices or similar.

You could get a USB wireless adapter for the laptop or fit another card with Windows 10 drivers available.

I'm using an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 in this laptop I'm typing on and it does have Windows 10 drivers.

13. Macboatmaster

Indeed as I said

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes of course. I wanted to confirm it is the 6200 card and to suggest replacing it if the OP is up for that.
    The 6235 is quite cheap on Ebay.

15. Macboatmaster

Well I am totally confused
    Why we have details of a windows 7 desktop when we are told the problem is with the wireless card on a laptop is a little puzzling to me
    and even if the images on post 10 are from the laptop they do not show any wireless adapter.
    As I said when I first replied if the adapter is the intel centrino listed in the opening post on the Toshiba Satellite then I suggest a usb adapter suitable for windows 10

No concerns about opening laptop case, simply plug in and many of those usb adapters will have the driver automatically installed by 10.

OR as of course you say he could buy another internal card 0f course but not only then has the access bay got to be opened - presuming that is how the card is replaced on the Toshiba Satellite A335, but the antennae connection also has to be dealt with. Not a difficult job whatsoever but IMHO just not worthy of the effort with the usb adapters being so cheap.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice