1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to DHCP server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chipotle, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chipotle

chipotle Thread Starter

I just got Cox cable and it hasn't been working right.

I have a netgear WG602 wireless access point. I can connect to it but it has limited or no connectivity. Repairing the connection doesn't work and doesn't give me an IP.

I connected the ethernet cable directly to my laptop and it didn't work at all. I called them and it worked by directly connecting, but the wireless still didn't work.

Then I messed with wireless settings to try to connect, and I finally got online but my ip is 70.x.x.x, the apparent IP for all Cox subscribers.

But I got that 70.x.x.x through my router instead of a 192.x.x.x so I have no idea why it's doing that. It's really weird and I still can't get a dynamic IP.

Thanks for the help.

2. avisitor

avisitor

If that's just an access point, it does not have a DHCP server, so unless you have one in your modem, you aren't going to get a private IP.

3. chipotle

chipotle Thread Starter

So what should I do to fix it? Static IPs for all the computers on it?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start by telling us the brand and model of your modem and your router and how they and the wireless AP and your computers are interconnected.

5. chipotle

chipotle Thread Starter

I have a netgear WG602 v3 wireless access point.

I have Cox. The modem is hooked up to a splitter which connects the modem and digital cable box. The wireless AP is connected directly to the modem. We're trying to connect four laptops to it and sometimes randomly one will connect but the others won't.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You probably have standard residential internet service--one public IP address. For multiple computers to have simultaneous internet access options include

a. router (best),
    b. internet connection sharing (worst),
    c. pay for additional IP addresses if Cox offers that service,
    d. get business service with multiple IP addresses if Cox offers that service.

7. BigBadBern

BigBadBern

I suggest you purchase a router, can be purchased for really cheap, connect that to your Cox cable modem via the WAN port, and then connect your Netgear WG602 wireless access point to one of the LAN port.

With the router will come instructions for you to set it all up.

What will happen then, is that the router will connect to the Cox account for internet access, and the wireless access point will get an IP from the router, and allow wireless computers to get an IP as well via the WAP from the router, and then be able to connect to the net.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice