1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to high speed internet on Toshiba laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulanaro, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulanaro

paulanaro Thread Starter

Laptop is Toshiba Satellite 1115-s103 serial # x2340363k running Windows XP/SP-2.

When plugging in a working high speed internet cable and restarting unit, an icon appears in lower right tray which looks like an internet connection icon with a small yellow ball bouncing back and forth.
    However, when browser (either Firefox or Internet Explorer) is pulled up unit cannot find any valid address.
    Suggestion was made that SP-2 might be the problem but after deinstalling SP-2 there was no improvement.

Need help - thanks - Paul

2. Sponsor

3. B€@nI€

B€@nI€

That is a problem with your connection. Are you connected through a network or of a modem. also who supplys your internet connection eg ntl

the yellow "boncing" ball is the computer getting its ip. (continuation means invalid ip.

i need more info for the help you

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're plugging directly to a broadband modem, try power cycling the power on the modem. You MUST cycle power on most broadband modems if you change the attached device.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

did you run the internet connection wizard before attempting to connect to the internet? If not try this. It works quite well.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the Toshiba is using an Atheros wireless device, the drivers may need updating.

7. minameise

minameise

had the same problem here

8. B€@nI€

B€@nI€

that would not be the problem. the problem is to do network. do you have any other computers using the wireless network. and can they conect with the internet. i think it may be 2 do with the router/internet connection and not actually the laptop

9. paulanaro

paulanaro Thread Starter

Hi - Thanks for reply. I did try the wizard. It came back saying that all was OK. However, I still get no response to my browser's attempts to access any site

10. paulanaro

paulanaro Thread Starter

Hi [email protected] - I am in a private home that has high speed internet and it is presently connected through a modem provided by QWest to a desktop. It works perfectly. When I unplug the modem cable from the desktop and plug it into my laptop nothing happens. There is no wireless network involved, I might add add that I have the same problem at hotels which provide high speed internet via modem.

11. paulanaro

paulanaro Thread Starter

Hi John Will - thanks for reply. If by power cycling the modem you mean shutting off the power and turning it back on, I'll try that as soon as I can. However, that doesn't explain why I have the same problem in hotels that provide high speed access via modem. Friends are able to plug their laptops into such places with success. Moreover, my son, who owns the high speed connection where I am trying to connect, has a Toshiba laptop(different model than mine), and all he has to do to connect is unplug the modem cable from the back of his desktop and plug it into his laptop. Does this info generate any mor ideas? - Thanks

12. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

did you run the network set up wizard in windows? if you check your device manager does the network adapter (NIC) sow up without any problems?

13. paulanaro

paulanaro Thread Starter

Hi Miamense Thanks for reply. Guess you never got the problem solved.

14. paulanaro

paulanaro Thread Starter

Hi Rollin Rog - Thanks for reply. No wireless is involved

15. paulanaro

paulanaro Thread Starter

Hi Dustyjay - I did run the network setup in windows. The device manager says that my NIC is working properly. Using the troubleshooter is no help. Any other ideas?

16. Tek Lord

Tek Lord

Most internet services providers that provide cable service bind the mac address of the device behind the modem. if you disconnect 1 computer from the modem and connect another you will not get an ip address. you need to leave the modem unplugged for a few hours and have the lease expire or call your ISP and have them release the host. there are other factors. try lowering the card speed on your nic card to 10 half. some cable modems have a hard time auto-negotiating link speed.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/385615