1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to internet AFTER connectin g to server.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by [email protected], May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nannette@Work

[email protected] Thread Starter

I got a new laptop with Windows Vista Business, I was able to connect to the internet and then I connected to the server and then .... no internet connectivity! Here is some info:
    IPv4: local connectivity
    IPv6: limited connectivity

Ethernet adapter is recognized in device manager

In internet connections, I have:
    a connection ton the server and a connection to ethernet which the ethernet connection says the plug is unplugged.

DHCP enabled: No
    IPv4 Ip address: 192.168.1.101
    IPv4 Ip Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    IPv4 Ip Default Gateway:
    IPv4 DNS Servers: 192.169.1.199
    NetBios over Tcpip enabled: Yes
    Thanks in advance! I have been using my aircard to connect to the internet, however a big storm swept over Louisiana and now I can not get a connection through that and it's about time I just tackle this Vista problem!

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    What is the IP of your server?
    Does the server also have a DNS service installed?
    If so, have you configured it to forward to your router through to the internet (see the DNS management console to configure forwarders)?

3. Nannette@Work

What is the IP of your server? 192.168.1.199
    Does the server also have a DNS service installed? I am checking with someone, but I'm sure this is so.
    If so, have you configured it to forward to your router through to the internet (see the DNS management console to configure forwarders)? We have 3 other computers connected (they are XP) and they all coneect to the internet through the server.
    I connected to the interenet fine until the second I connected to the server.

4. Nannette@Work

No, the DNS is not activated, he said he was allowing the modem/router to handle that.

5. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    I think this is the problem. You have two DNS addresses configured but I assume your router is 192.168.1.9 and that is allowing access to internet. You must configure that address FIRST in dns list to allow access to internet otherwise you are connecting to a dead internal DNS server (1999 and its not resolving any addresses, hence no web access.
    The lisst of DNS addresses on your client, does not round robin, ie pick between them, it will stick the the first dns address unless it cannot be contacted and therefore try the 2nd one and so on. Its a client config issue.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/712433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice