1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Connect to Internet After Reformatting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LuckySeven, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LuckySeven

LuckySeven Thread Starter

I've recently reformatted my computer with XP and now I can't connect to the internet. I really don't know where to start with this problem, my knowledge of Windows is pretty minimal. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

2. Sponsor

3. rodeognome

rodeognome

welcome to TSG

You are probably missing the driver for your Network Card (or modem if you are still on dial-up)

Go to the Device Manager and see if there is a yellow mark there...

4. LuckySeven

The only relevant yellow mark is "Ethernet Controller". I searched for some sort of driver for that earlier but didn't have any luck with it.

I also downloaded all the drivers from the Gateway website for my computer's model.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

most dell's require, chipset, video, sound and ethernet, as you didn't mention mfg, probably the same or close.

6. LuckySeven

But I can't seem to find the Ethernet driver any where. Do they have to be computer brand specific?

7. rodeognome

rodeognome

What is the Model No. of your system and I will see if I can find one for you?

8. akolagtech

akolagtech

You probably do not have the network card driver any because once you reinstall your OS you lose all your drivers unless you make a backup before reinstall. Try to download the driver online from your PC Manufacturer

9. LuckySeven

It's a Gateway, Model Number is 310S

I've downloaded and installed every driver from here: Gateway Drivers

Didn't seem to do anything though.

10. rodeognome

rodeognome

Do you still have yellow mark beside Ethernet Controller?

If you do, Type in Serial No. of Your PC in the Link "Gateway Drivers"...

It might not be called "ethernet driver" but "network driver" - download it and you should be
    good to go.

11. akolagtech

akolagtech

OK, This might need some technical work, Go to your control panel or open your My Network Places on your desktop if is there or just go to your control panel and click "network connection".

1. Double click on it and choose the adapter you use to connect to the internet.
    2 If your card is working fine you should see it is connected.
    3 Right click on it and choose properties make sure you click on General tab.
    4 Check to see it your adapter is detected and name is shown as well.
    click on configure.
    5 In the General tab check to see your adapter is working properly if not you can click on the Troubleshoot button below it
    6. Next click on the driver to make sure you have the latest driver install. You can uninstall the driver and install it again.
    7. Try to reboot your PC and see if it works this time around and if not then maybe you try another ethernet card or network card .

I hope this help

12. LuckySeven

I still have that yellow mark next to Ethernet Controller. There is a network driver for my serial number but I've installed it and nothing happened.

Also my router doesn't even show that the computer is connected anywhere. If that helps at all.

13. rodeognome

rodeognome

Was this the original problem i.e. could you not connect to the net BEFORE the reinstall?

14. akolagtech

akolagtech

"Yellow mark" Good now we getting somewhere, that yellow mark show that your driver is not working properly and in that sense your card cannot be detected. Try and use another ethernet conroller and see if it works since it seems that the driver is not working. Also make sure you have the right driver.

15. LuckySeven

The internet was working fine before. The strange thing is that this is the second time I've reformatted the computer and I don't remember having nearly as much trouble the first time. Maybe I'm not installing the drivers properly?
    I can't even find the adapter that I should use to connect to the internet. I've been scouring the computer and can't seem to find anything on it network related.

16. rodeognome

rodeognome

The Ethernet Controller driver shouldl solve your problem

How did you try install the driver it up to now ?- by running the setup.exe file?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/667100