1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't connect to internet after unplugging then plugging cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dsmith7878, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dsmith7878

dsmith7878 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm at a dorm room with cable internet. It usually works fine, but now if I unplug it, then plug it back, the computer doesn't connect to the internet anymore. Sometimes it says it's acquiring network address, but that doesn't change. The computer connects to the internet fine if I turned on the computer with the cable already plugged in.

Another computer doesn't have this problem with the same cable, always able to connect after being unplugged/plugged. Both computers are on Win XP.

I suspect the Windows firewall has something to do with it, if only because it is turned on the the problematic computer, and not on the other one. I couldn't turn it off, however, because it doesn't let me open up Windows Firewall Settings, giving me the message that the "associated service is not running" and whether or not I could like to start it. If I click "Yes", it simply says it "cannot open Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service".

Please let me know what the problem might be and what i can try to get it working again. I hope I haven't given too much useless information.. haha. Thanks!

Dave

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try this

start>
    run>
    cmd>
    ipconfig /release
    and then
    ipconfig /renew

that should give you a new IP

3. dsmith7878

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I tried your suggestion, and now the connection shows up as "Limited or no connectivity".

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    but when you reboot it all works fine

post an ipconfig /all - when its working and then again when it fails

5. ViprXX

ViprXX

6. dsmith7878

Sorry for the late reply. I tried the "ipconfig /all" but all it did was show a black window (sorta like MS DOS) for a split second. There was nothing to copy and paste, and I'm assuming that's what I was asked to do? The same thing happens when I try "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew". I'm wondering if that blank window was what I was supposed to get.

I've been trying re-plugging the cable, and it seems like the computer simply doesn't react to it being disconnected and thus doesn't know to reconnect once I plug it back in. I look at "Local Area Connection Status" and it shows me it's connected even when it's not. Not sure what the problem is. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for the answers guys, this forum is awesome.

Dave

7. dsmith7878

Ah, I realized I was doing the run commands wrong. I'll try out everything again and then get back to you. Thanks!

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.

to copy from the command window

9. dsmith7878

When I use either "config /release" or "/renew", I get:
    The "ipconfig /all" when it is working is as follows:

I'll post the "config /all" when it's not working in the next message, as I have to disconnect, and reboot.

10. dsmith7878

LOL, thanks Blackmirror. I didn't know, and typed out the last message by hand. Here is the "ipconfig /all" when it is not working:

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896062

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/572536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice