1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant Connect To Internet, Although LAN Is Recognised!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheAnswer182, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheAnswer182

TheAnswer182 Thread Starter

Hey,
    Situation: I've recently moved into a residential college and brought my computer with me (im not on it right now). At my old home, i was able to connect my computer via an ADSL modem to the internet without any problems. We never set up a home network due to the other two computers in the househould not having the capabilites.
    Since i have moved into the new residence, they have a LAN that spreads accross the college which i am supposed to be able to connect to.
    When i plug in the cable, it registers and it says down the bottom that a LAN cable is connected, so im obviously connected to the network. However, my problem is when i try to access the internet (which should work without any problems) it wont load any websites (they cant be found) So here's my computer, able to Ping other computers on the network (i.e the one im sitting on now) but unable to connect to the internet. I have a feeling that its because it needs to recognise the fact that i am connected to the internet. It isnt acknowledging the fact that im connect. Im in a real problem here. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask and i'll try and answer them, but please help me fix this. It really REALLY annoying me!
    Cheers
    Answer-Out (y)

2. blin

blin

3. TheAnswer182

Hey, in cmd, what i find is strange is that i can ping other computers on my network, (ie/ping 203.2 etc...) However, i cant ping outside sources, for example the 4.2.2.1 or www.google.com. It just says timed out, or some sort of thing, basically saying it cant do it :( rather gay!
    Any other ideas? im racking my brain here lol! :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Sounds like your default gateway or DNS servers are wrong. Can you do an Ipconfig/all and post it here. Do one from a working computer, and from the one that is not connecting to the internet.

5. TheAnswer182

Here it is from the computer thats connected to the network and internet:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-A6-3E-2D-CC
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.173
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

And the one from the non connecting computer:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-20-69-F2-78
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.225
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 61.9.192.14
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Doesn't really mean alot to me! :confused:

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

The non connecting computer is not picking up the right address for the DNS server. If you haven't already, run the internet connection wizard. P.S. what OS are you using?

7. TheAnswer182

Running on XP service pack 2, which someone at my college said has problems occassionally :confused:
    I've tried running the internet connection wizard heaps of times for every different scenario that the college could possibly have (if you know what i mean, i.e through a hub, direct to net etc.) but it still doesnt seem to crack its way through to allow any data flow. I'll give it a few more shots in a mini and check the DNS address each time after it does that (by doing the Ipconfig/all) to see if it makes any difference. But thats my situation at the moment, do you have any other ideas or ways you think i might be able to fix it
    Your help is much appreciated thankyou for it alot.

8. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

You could set the DNS manually. Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Local area connection>Properties>TCP/IP properties>General.
    Leave set to obtain IP automatically, Set to Use following DNS Addresses, and enter the DNS address from the working computer.

9. TheAnswer182

Alright, problem solved, ALMOST... the internet is now working, thankyou for your help, but a mate from my college came in and did EXACTLY what you said to do and it worked! just one problem now, because im behind a proxy server, is that why my msn messenger and IRC client arent working?

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

On the typical college LAN, many ports and services are usually blocked. This is because many college students lack self-control and would bring the network to it's knees if there were no restrictions. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice