1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant connect to internet via wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Scooterist007, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scooterist007

Scooterist007 Thread Starter

Hi, have a problem which is really baffled me, in our house we have a wireless setup for internet, now everything is ok on every pc except one! now the laptop is conected to the wireless network, but when i try to conect to the internet nothing happens, I can conect to the router but not the internet and every other pc can connect, Ive tried everything i can think of, even tried turning off the firewall but no joy, the pc is a acer netbook and its running windows xp, it was working fine until today, ive even tried a system restore but no joy! please help because my 17 yo daughter is getting on my nerves saying have I sorted it yet!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.

• Have you tried to do a system restore to before the problem occurred?
    • If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • For wireless connection issues, have you removed all the stored wireless network profiles and then searched for the network?
    • For wireless laptops, have you made SURE the wireless switch is on?
    • For wired connection issues, have you booted in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. TuringEnigma

TuringEnigma

We aren't mind readers here, "when i try to conect to the internet nothing happens" is way to vague. You need to tell us exactly what you are doing, what you would normally expect to see on the screen, and what you are seeing now.

4. Calltek_Tina

Calltek_Tina

basic 5 connectivity steps
    1. check signal - check
    2. check association - check (since you said its connected)
    3. check IP address.. go to run type cmd check if you have valid IP usually on private
    4. ping your gw, yahoo.com - check if getting response
    5. check browser settings - internet options, connections and LAN setting, no checked boxes

- hope it helps

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    TuringEnigma, it's true we are not mind readers here but it doesn't take a mind reader to realize that the OP is probably a beginner and needs more specific questions to give us more specific information. I would expect anybody with "Advanced" experience in networking to see that JohnWill has already asked for a ton of specific information, and to simply wait for the response before asking more questions or giving advice.

Calltek_Tina, the previous sentence is meant for you also.

6. TuringEnigma

TuringEnigma

Agree JohnWill has asked for a ton of information but he has either not read the question, or has cut and pasted a standard response that has been used in the past because several of his questions are answered in the initial post. That one-size-fits-all set of questions could do with some improvements too. How about adding a "tracert -d" for example?
    As described the problem could be just about anything, perhaps even the browser failing to start. So before barraging the poor user with complicated possibly irrelevant technical questions we should first find out what symptoms are appearing.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for your response, TuringEnigma. Once you start trying to help, especially as "first responder," a couple dozen members a day you may find yourself relying on some canned posts also. :) Through experience I have discovered that if the first helper(s) is(are) moving the thread in the right direction, even if a little less or more information has been requested, I can just subscribe to the thread and chime in later when appropriate.

If you stick around long enough you'll discover that you can influence how others post by setting a good example, not by telling experienced members how they should post before they even get to "know" you.

Your very first posted words on this site were the above "We aren't mind readers here." That did not make a good first impression on me.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice