Cant connect to internet with cable modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tunten

Hi

I recently restored my pc to factory settings and re installed service pack 2 and 3 for windows xp. Now I cant connect to the internet. I know my connection works because
it works fine on my laptop which uses vista. On my pc (xp) the internet is connected
but its a LAN connection and I cant access it with my web browser.

I have tryed rebooting and turning it on and off. I have spoke to my ISP and my IP address
is pinging there server so I do have a connection I just cant get online with a web browser.

Is there a way to access the internet over a LAN connection with a browser are do I have to modify the connection type if so then how.

Any help is always appreciated

thanks

TerryNet

Terry
If you have a 3rd party firewall (security suite) check to make sure it is not blocking your browser. Secondly, try the following repairs.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
Also, run a "ipconfig /all" command to make sure your PC is getting its IP address assignment correctly.

Peace...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!