Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't connect to internet with win2000

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  MFDnNC 
#1 ·
My laptop was just upgraded to win200 pro and won't connect to the Internet. I connect through a D-Link DI-704p router, my carbus is a 3Com 10/100 lan model #3ccfe575bt,I get a signal to the card letting me know there is a connection but when I look at the local area connection it tell's me that I am connected, the speed at 100mbps, then it shows that it send at 81 but does'nt receive.

What I'm doing wrong or what should I be doing to fix this problem?

Thank's for your help. :confused:

#3 ·
I tried to ping my router and it said "destination host unreachable", then I tried ipconfig/release and I get this message " all adapters bound to dhcp do not have dhcp addresses. The addresses were automaticly configured and cannot be released."

Thank's for your help.

#4 ·
It sounds like the machine can't reach the DHCP server. Are you sure it's a good cable you're using?

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

#5 ·
It say:

windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name..........................: laptop-XXXXXX
Primary DNS Suffix................:
Node type..........................: Broadcast
IP Routing Enable.................: No
WINS Proxy Enable...............: No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.:
Description...........................: 3Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBus PC
Card
Physical Address...................: 00-10-4B-F6-BA-D3
DHCP Enable........................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled......: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address..: 196.254.66.164
Subnet Mask.......................: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway..................:
DNS Server.........................:

as for my cable, I even tried the one that connect to my other computer(one that work) and to plug directly to the ADSL Modem.

Thank"s for your help.

#6 ·
Something very odd is happening there, because the autoconfiguration address should have been 169.254.x.x, 196.x.x.x would not be valid there. Are you sure you didn't change anything in the copy process?

I'd try removing everything in Network Properties, including the NIC, and reboot. Let it discover all the hardware again and see if that helps. Something is scrambled there...

#7 ·
Well I'm thinking of formating the hole drive, since it's a new install I don't have anything installed yet but when I tryed before I was'nt able to do it since it's in NTFS and when I try the format line in DOS "format c:" it say "Format cannot run because the volume is in use by an other process. Format may run if this volume is dismount first. All open handle to this volume would then be invalide. Would you like to force a dismount? y/n " Then I press Y enter and I get this "cannot lock the drive. the volume is still in use.

Thank's

PS.: I already tried to remove all the network property and it did'nt work.

#8 ·
johnwill said:
Something very odd is happening there, because the autoconfiguration address should have been 169.254.x.x, 196.x.x.x would not be valid there. Are you sure you didn't change anything in the copy process?

I'd try removing everything in Network Properties, including the NIC, and reboot. Let it discover all the hardware again and see if that helps. Something is scrambled there...

#9 ·
Well I'm thinking of formating the hole drive, since it's a new install I don't have anything installed yet but when I tryed before I was'nt able to do it since it's in NTFS and when I try the format line in DOS "format c:" it say "Format cannot run because the volume is in use by an other process. Format may run if this volume is dismount first. All open handle to this volume would then be invalide. Would you like to force a dismount? y/n " Then I press Y enter and I get this "cannot lock the drive. the volume is still in use.

Thank's

PS.: I already tried to remove all the network property and it did'nt work.

You can e-mail me @ poirier1967@ns.sympatico.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.