Can't Connect To Internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tal08

I have a Linksys modem that has 2 desktop computers connected to it. One of the desktops connects fine to the net but the other one won't connect. It just keeps searching and then says Page Cannot Be Displayed. Everything was working fine earlier. I have tried everything i know and can't figure it out. Can someone help?

Thanks
Chris

TerryNet

Terry
"Can someone help?"

Maybe; if you describe your connections, your OSs and what you've tried.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about more details on how the two computers are connected to this "modem"? Do you have a router, a hub/switch, or what?

tal08

The computer that won't connect is an HP desktop running 98SE. The other that does connect is a Dell running XP. The modem is a Linksys Broadband Router and the 2 desktops connect to this by their own ethernet cable.
Everything was fine earlier this morning, but then I tried installing a Linksys Wireless Router and ran into problems installing it, so after a while I gave up. Then when I connected the ethernet cables back to the modem, one worked and the other didnt. I tried putting the cable in the different ports but that didnt help. I tried resetting the modem but had no luck.

Thanks
Chris

Is it possible that you've damaged one of the cables during your linksys router installation? Have you tried another cable to the machine thats not working currently?

Daniel - YourTechOnline.com technician

In the computer that doesn't work go into it's network connections folder. First make sure that the connection is enabled and then right click on it and go to properties. In the General tab under the list of what the connection uses click on Internet Protocol (don't uncheck it just select it). Then click the properties button and under the general tab make sure it is set to obtain both of those addresses automatically. Reboot and see if it decides to work. If not then it's probably the cables.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online