1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vzerbee, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vzerbee

vzerbee Thread Starter

Hi there.. I found this forum while searching for answers to my internet problem.

I am using a Verizon GT704WG Wireless DSL Modem/Router. It is hardwired into my daughter's computer, and I have another desk top that I use wireless and other family members use two laptops wireless also.

On Saturday we lost our dial tone and therefore internet access. When Verizon repaired the problem today, the only computer that can get internet access is my daughter's hardwired computer.

On my wireless desktop (and I even tried wiring it up) and two other laptops, there is showing internet connection but we can not open a website on either IE or Firefox.

I spoke with my wireless card co, and with verizon numerous times. At first verizon said that the modem/router may have been damaged while it sat idle.. that the software in it is not working properly.

However, once they established connection with my daugter's computer (hardwired into modem/router), they say that all settings are functional in my desk top as well, and that it may be the browsers that are malfunctioning. I find it hard to believe that could be the problem in my desktop and two laptops that won't connect either.

I am thinking this is a problem with the modem/router but would welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm going to guess that they may have reset the router and you have lost the encryption keys you were using. Using your daughter's computer, connect to the router's configuration pages and reset the encryption key to a known value. On each of the wireless machines, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for a new network, use the proper encryption key you just entered in the router, and you should be connected.

3. vzerbee

vzerbee Thread Starter

thanks very much for responding so quick.. by the encryption key do you mean the WEP key? Yesterday's events have me more confused than ever. thanks..

p.s. i am from central pa, usa :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's what he means if you use WEP. :) WPA-PSK is preferable if all devices support it.

5. vzerbee

vzerbee Thread Starter

hey thanks for the help.. i can't get it to go.. i am able to use skype on my computer so i know the wireless is active.. just can't get any websites to pull up on either ie or foxfire.. and the same goes for the two laptops we have tried..

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please be more specific. Did you do everything John said? Did you try WPA instead?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice