1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to local SMTP server with one application

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Malcontent, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Thread Starter

Hi all,

I’m testing an application called ProcessMaker on my desktop computer at work. This program has an e-mail notification feature which I can’t get to work. It's got a very straightforward mail setup. I’ve set it to send mail through our corporate SMTP server, but it can’t successfully connect to the server. It resolves the host and port, but just sits and spins when it tries to establish a connection.

I've worked with our mail admins and established that the SMTP server is working fine. I'm using the right settings. I can telnet to it. I set up both Outlook and a simple mail app I downloaded to send mail through the SMTP server and it worked fine.

I installed ProcessMaker on my cubemate's computer and the e-mail function worked fine.

So, there's some problem with the setup on my workstation that's interfering with this one application. It uses a web browser for its interface, running at localhost:8080.

Here's what I've tried:

• I tried it using both IE and Firefox.
    • I reset my TCPIP settings using netsh int ip reset.
    • I disabled TCPIP autotuning to see if that was interfering.
    • I disabled SEP to see if the firewall or other protection scheme was interfering.
    None of these has made a difference.Any ideas from the field??

Thanks much!

Alex Harris

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well if it's a connectivity issue a program usually will fail straight away. It's sounds like an authenication issue, or the E-Mail size is too big and timing out. Do you know what size the E-Mail is?

EDIT: what mail app did you download?

3. Malcontent

Hi Couriant, thanks for the info!

Would the size of the e-mail prevent a connection to the server? It seems like mail size would become an issue only when it connected and tried to send the e-mail, although I admittedly don't know how these things work.

However, it's a small e-mail. The test e-mail I did successfully send by ProcessMaker (from my coworker's workstation) is 8k plus a small company logo image. However, when I received the e-mail from my coworker's computer the image wasn't included, there just an image placeholder.

The authentication idea is interesting, but our internal SMTP server doesn't require authentication or encryption. The progress dialog of the ProcessMaker e-mail test also shows the various stages of the test, including host and port resolution, connection to server, user login, and so on. It hangs up on "Connecting to [mySMTPserver.dns:25]"

Oh, this may be useful: here's the documentation from ProcessMaker which shows the mail configuration screen.

http://wiki.processmaker.com/index.php/2.0/Email_-_Settings

It was surprisingly hard to find a simple, well-designed basic mail sender. The program I downloaded is SMTP Mail Sender by HazteK Software. It's really very nice.

http://w3.haztek-software.com/apps/smtpsend.html

Thanks much!

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you have any security programs like Norton or McAfee?

5. Malcontent

I did try disabling our security program, Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). I unwisely used the abbreviation in the list of things I tried.

You know, though, I don't recall now whether I rebooted after disabling SEP. I don't know if it would make a difference, but it'll be something to try tomorrow. My coworker's computer has the same software, however, and again, on his computer the e-mail worked fine. SEP administered centrally so I'd expect it to be configured the same across all our systems, but you never know.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So to confirm:

Program does not send out an E-Mail on your computer
    You can send E-Mail with a client (Outlook)
    Both Outlook and Program has the exact same settings for outgoing server
    You can telnet to the SMTP server on the same port
    The program does work on another computer
    You cannot send an E-Mail via a second SMTP server

With this information would look at your computer, but the problem is that nothing is pointing to the same thing...

Just curious, do you have a G-Mail account? And if so just for a troubleshooting process for a port issue, can you use your credentials? server information is smtp.gmail.com, using port 465 and SSL. The server does require authentication and the username is the first part of your email. If you have a different provider I can get that information too.

I don't know if you have permission to do so, or at least see if IT can do this, but I would be curious to see a packet tracer/sniffer log from your computer. Programs like Wireshark (formerly named Ethereal) would work. We can filter the results to just SMTP traffic so that way we can see if the program is outputting the data.

7. Malcontent

Hi Couriant,

All your statements are true, except I can't test the program with a second SMTP server. I can only test it using our corporate SMTP server.

I did try to send the test e-mail using the Gmail server (that was actually the first thing I tried), but we're unable to do that from within our corporate network.

Yes, the problem has always seemed to be with my computer. But where? I've tried the troubleshooting steps I can think of, but I don't know much about these details.

Thanks again for the help!

Alex

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well you said you downloaded SMTP Mail Server, I thought that's what you are using it for

9. Malcontent

I downloaded SMTP Mail Sender, not SMTP Mail Server.

I tested sending mail via our SMTP server with two additional programs, Outlook and SMTP Mail Sender, to confirm that I could connect to and send mail via our SMTP server.

I did not test ProcessMaker with any additional SMTP server. it can't reach any outside our network (e.g. Gmail), and I didn't install an SMTP server on my workstation.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    My apologies. I thought you did a smtp server.... I just did a test with hMailServer and it's pretty straight forward.. you can create a dummy email server (i did mytest.com), create a login account ([email protected]) and then was able to send in my network. If your program cant use a dummy but 'workable' email account then something on your computer is blocking that email sent by the program

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice