1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Connect to My Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by strahd, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. strahd

strahd Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me. . . I'm feeling pretty desperate!

I can't get my laptop to connect to my wireless network. It's worked just fine for about a year (only occasionally have to power off/on router to reset), then the last few days it has worked intermittently and now I can't connect at all. The only thing I have done differently a couple of days ago was download ZoneAlarm free firewall - which I immediately uninstalled because I didn't like it. After uninstalling in the Add/Remove Programs, I still found remnants of Zone in Explore under Program Files - and I then deleted those.

I have run three antispyware programs, my anti-virus, chkdsk, defrag, and then stopped myself short of jumping up and down on it! I saw someone had asked a user to enter "IPCONFIG /ALL" in the Run command - I did that, the black DOS screen disappeared as quickly as it appeared so I could not copy anything from that screen.

I have also clicked "view available wireless networks", and mine (secured) doesn't appear. I've completely powered down and repowered up the right away (modem, router, computer), and still nothing. I click "repair" and it still can't see my network.

Right now, I'm connected to the Internet via my neighbor's network :( so I can't access any of my files on the desktop (where they are all stored).

I hope I've included enough information for some kind soul to help me? You'll have my undying gratitude! :) The computer specs in my profile are for my laptop. Thank you!

Stephanie

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    Need to know a little more about your network environment.
    Make and model of your router
    Is the router connected to a desktop or???
    If you go to

start/my network places do you see your router listed there?

If so,you can probably get into your routers admin screen from there and take a look at some of the tabs(admin/setup)etc.
    It may give you an option to reset to factory defaults.I probably would not do that right away until some of the more knowledgable techs on this forum pick up on this thread.
    Including the specifics of you environment will be most helpful.

3. strahd

strahd Thread Starter

Thanks so much for responding. My router is a Netgear WGT624v3. It's connected to the desktop/modem.

When I go to my network places, I'm not sure if I'm seeing my neighbor's network or mine - it doesn't have a name. My network has a name so I can normally identify it easily.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK.Can I assume that you can make a network connection from your desktop?

In network places,if you select the item you see listed,is it your router?
    When you ran ipconfig /all,did you run it on your desktop or laptop?
    Should be run on your desktop.

5. strahd

strahd Thread Starter

EDIT: I'm looking at the wiring now. My CPU plugs into the router, and then there's a connection between the router and the modem. The desktop is working fine.

My desktop has a direct cable connection.

In my network places (laptop), I can see my documents from the desktop computer, but if I click, "the network path is not found"

I ran ipconfig /all on both the laptop and the desktop - same thing - the window closed as quickly as it opened.

Thank you PedroGuy - any other suggestions?

6. debibear

debibear

ZoneAlarm may have stuff left over. Check and see if all ports that zonealarm used are unblocked.:eek:

Debibear

7. strahd

strahd Thread Starter

Thanks Debbibear - how do I do that? Beginner here. . .

8. debibear

debibear

download and run ccleaner

it is good at removing the excess items from your pc and your registry

9. strahd

strahd Thread Starter

Any other suggestions anyone? Still can't see or connect to wireless network. Thank you!

10. strahd

strahd Thread Starter

No offense, Debibear, but I have no idea what you are saying!

Can anyone please help me? Hate to sound desperate here, but I am :(

Stephanie

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Can you connect to the router with an ethernet cable? If so, do that, and look at the configuration settings to verify that wireless is enabled, encryption is disabled, and verify what the SSID is so you know what network you're connecting to. If you leave it at the default of "netgear" and your neighbor also has a Netgear router he/she hasn't configured, that will make troubleshooting harder. Name it "strahd" or something similar that will make it stand out to you as being yours.

12. strahd

strahd Thread Starter

Thanks DoubleHelix. I can't connect to the router with the cable. And I do have my own SSID that is personal to me - not a default like my neighbors!

I just called my ISP because I was trying to disconnect the router and run directly through the modem so I could install the latest firmware. Got that done, but now can't download the firmware - it downloads a file (wgt624v3_2_0_16_1_0_1NA.chk) that says Recovered File Fragment - pieces of file found when your disk was scanned.

My ISP seems to think that ZoneAlarm left some stuff on my harddrive that's keeping me from seeing my network. Is there any way to get rid of it if I can't find it???

13. pedroguy

pedroguy

I think that to be an issue,ZA would have to be one of your running processes/applications.
    Do a control/alt/delete to display your running tasks.If you see something like Zonealarm or vsmon on the list,then some part of ZA is running.

To investigate further
    start/run/cmd
    type in services.msc

This will display all of your started and running processes.Look for the same as above or any Symantec apps.
    If you don't see the little ZA monitor(square box with red/green activity scales) at the bottom right of your desktop,ZA is probably not an issue.
    This should all be done on the desktop.
    Also I am a bit confused by your post."I can't connect to the router with the cable,but further down you say "was trying to disconnect the router"

14. strahd

strahd Thread Starter

Hi Pedroguy. . .thanks for your patience and support!

I checked Task Manager and no Zone there, I checked my Startup (msconfig) and no Zone there. I typed in services.msc - no Zone or vsmon there either! And nothing on my desktop. So it's possible that it's NOT a Zone issue? I just don't know what else it could be!

Sorry about confusing you. . .what I meant was - I can't run the cable through the router. I have to run the cable through the modem, then the router.

My hair is turning grayer by the minute. . . :)

15. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:I know exactly what you mean about gray hair.
    Yes>I would say that unless you have ZA running on the laptop,I think ZA is not the issue.

OK.I think I am still a bit confused.
    My setup:
    modem,ethernet cable to the internet port on the router,then ethernet cable from one of the router ports into the nic/ethernet port on the pc.
    If you want to bypass the router
    Power everything off,pc,router,modem.
    cable from modem then should be plugged into the nic/ethernet of your pc.
    Router will,at this point should not be connected to anything.
    Power up the modem and pc.Make sure that all the modem send/receive/etc,lights are blinking
    Now here may be the rub.At this point you will probably need to run ipconfig /release
    and then ipconfig /renew
    to re establish connectivity to your ISP.
    If you would prefer to wait for more advanced assistance from Double or one of the other really great techs,I understand perfectly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice