1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to my wifi network.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BCB274, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BCB274

BCB274 Thread Starter

Not sure if this the right place to ask but I need some help.

Okay for some reason I am unable to connect to my wifi network. It was working fine Monday morning before I left for work, but when I came back I got a message saying cannot connect. Everyone else's laptops and tablets are working just fine. It is just my laptop. I've been trying to fix it for the past few days but I've gotten nowhere. I tried everything I know to do.
    I tried:
    Trouble shooting.
    Resetting & unplugging the router.
    Bringing back my laptop to an earlier date.
    Checked & changed the wifi name & password.
    I tried upgrading to windows 10 though I went back to 7 when it didn't work.
    I even reset my laptop to its factory settings.

When I trouble shoot I get the following messages:
    Cannot connect
    Try unplugging the router for 10 seconds and try again
    Cannot connect to hidden network (it's not hidden, I been to the little router modem page for it and it says it is not my laptop just thinks it is. Plus I can see it in my connection network list.)

My laptop runs fine for the most part and it can connect via cable, but I have to stay in the kitchen which is inconvenient for everyone. My laptop is quite old though at least 5 or 6 years. Might I need to buy a new one? I'd rather not if I can avoid it since like I said for the most part my laptop works fine.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Only if you are looking for an excuse to buy new. :) Last time I checked a USB wireless adapter is less expensive than a laptop.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver (from the PC manufacturer's web site). Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful then re-enable encryption and try to reconnect. Please tell us the results.

3. Simonjc24

Simonjc24

If you are looking for a cheaper method an Ethernet cable may work or if where you are using your laptop isn't close to the router, try a power line adapter, you can pick one up off amazon for around £20 amd up

4. BCB274

BCB274 Thread Starter

Well I tried what you suggested. Unfortunately it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though. It said something is wrong with my wireless adapter so I guess I'll look into buying a USB one like you said hopefully that'll fix the problem.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can't tell for sure, of course, but with all the trouble shooting that you have done I believe that the adapter has become defective.

6. BCB274

BCB274 Thread Starter

Yeah most likely. Now I can't even see the possible networks I could connect too. I plan to place an order for one tonight. Hopefully that'll fix things. Until then I'm just stuck in the kitchen connecting via cable. If this fixes my problem I will let you know :)

7. BCB274

BCB274 Thread Starter

Hey just stopping by to inform everyone that I got my usb adapter thing earlier this month and I'm back up and running. Thanks again for your help :)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice