1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant connect to my wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dalis, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dalis

dalis Thread Starter

i just bought a new laptop today and am trying to connect it to my wireless network.

it registers that the network is there but says "Acquiring Network Address" and i have no actual access. also under the support tab in the connection properties it says this

Address type: Invalid IP
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default gateway:

this is what i get when the TCP/IP is set to get the IP/Subnet/Default gateway automatically from my router.

if i fill in the TCP/IP fields manually i get an actually connection but i have like 0 activity and still cant acess the web.

if anyone has any suggestions or solutions i would gretly appreciate them

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start by telling us what make/model the wireless router is, as well as the laptop. Also, I assume this is XP, is it fully updated to SP2 and all the latest patches?

Is the wireless configuration on the router secured by WEP or WPA? Have you configured the laptop correctly for the encryption?

3. dalis

dalis Thread Starter

its a linksys WRT54G. Compaq Presario V4000. all comps have XP SP2. and its secured by WPA Personal.

just spent some time with the linksys guys on the phone and reconfigured my router, which got me online with the laptop for like 10 mins.

but now its back to just "limited or no connectivity"

4. RedCrow

RedCrow

If I'm not mistaking, your existing network is secure, and if it's secured you you should have a password to authenticate the machines to access the network. You need to input the password to this network when setup on your new system.

Will be helpful if you state the type of brand you're trying to run. Linksys or?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You still don't have communication with the router when you set the IP, etc., static. If your router's Dhcp server is enabled, I'd go back to 'optain IP auto.'

Suggest you disable encryption, connect to make sure you can, and then re-enable the encryption.

Do you have other PCs connected wirelessly to this router?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you connecting the router to a cable modem?

7. dalis

dalis Thread Starter

got it working had to rconfigure my router but it works now

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Great. You can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu.

If you care to add what you had to do, it may help the next person ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/465798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice