1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to network workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blackhawk05, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackhawk05

blackhawk05 Thread Starter

I am trying to connect my computer to MSHOME workgroup. I have reviewed several other posts dealing with similar issues. Checked "Services" and have included ipconfig, nbtstat and net view info below. Pinging this machine returns 4 packets and pinging from this machine returns 4 packets. I am getting a system 31 error when i run net view and can't find any more info. Network adapter is functional, and still can access internet. Just can't access other computers on my home network. "MSHOME is not accessable."

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations only)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic or manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

3. blackhawk05

all the services you mentioned are running on both machines. Something else i found...

When i ran nbtstat -n last night, this computer (DW650) didn't have MSBROWSE, but the other (D4100) did and D4100 could connect to MSHOME. Today DW4100 does not have MSBROWSE and can't connect to MSHOME, but DW650 can't either.

After reviewing event log, both have this browser error (see attached), DW650 from last night and D4100 from tonight.

Attached Files:

4. Miake

Miake

If all the above services are running, try renaming the computer and do a new connection to the network.

5. JohnWill

The event log error is normal, that happens lots of times in a workgroup.

6. blackhawk05

have tried renaming several times before, but still can't access workgroup. Even tried renaming NAS.

7. JohnWill

If multiple computers all have the line:

..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

Then you have a firewall blocking them and they don't see the other computer.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Often caused by a non-Windows firewall or security suite on the PC.

9. blackhawk05

using AVG anti-virus, but never had this issue before. I am starting to think it is my Linksys router or settings. the other day i couldn't access the web, so i unplugged the router to reset it. before i reset the router, i was able to open MSHOME and see my shared folders (on same machine).

10. JohnWill

There is nothing about the router that should affect local networking, that end of the router is a simple Ethernet switch.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice