1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't connect to pcs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by individual_echo, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. individual_echo

individual_echo Thread Starter

I have a 10 XP SP3 pcs on a network. (pc1, pc2, pc3,etc.) On pc1-pc4 are graphics designers, pc5-pc10 are printers. pc5-pc10 all have shared folders which is mapped on pc1-pc4 for the graphics designers to place the print ready art work in. but pc9 and pc10 is not visible to the rest of the pcs. pc9 & pc10 can connect to all the pc but not to each other as well. I can ping pc9 & 10 from any other pc, but no access.

I have checked firewall settings of bitdefender IS 2010, I have checked windows firewall, I have removed viruses from both of the pcs, updated windows with all the latest updates, but still it does not connect. I have checked and rechecked the IP range, and all settings.

any ideas??:confused:

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Being of simple mind, my suggestion would be to check the Workgroup name.

3. individual_echo

te workgroup name on all the computers are the same. pc9 can see and access all computer but no-one can access pc9 or pc10. pc9 can't access pc10 and vice versa. i found a tool on the MS site to reset the TCP/IP to default.

4. individual_echo

every time i try to connect to the 2 pcs, i get an error message saying: " \\192.168.7.138 is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the system administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission

logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

i have no weird permission setup, just normal simple file sharing.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Are these two machines used by people who've set passwords? On the other hand, are the other eight but these two not?

6. individual_echo

none of the machines has passwords.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From a JohnWill post:

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
    ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

8. individual_echo

hi Terrynet

it did not work

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Meaning that you still get "logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."?

10. individual_echo

yes i still get the same error message. :(

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This won't make you feel any better, but you are the first person I've encountered who hasn't been helped by that procedure. :(

Sorry, but I don't know what else to suggest short of a Repair install or fresh install.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice