1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jojodwolf, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jojodwolf

jojodwolf Thread Starter

Today the cable guy came out to see if he can improve my cable speed.. Say's it's most likely the old modem.. but that's not my question here... I disconnected my router today just to plug my pc directly into the modem... So when I put everything back I couldn't seem to get both pcs connected again. I could get one but not the other, and if I changed the wires around then the other, but not both... It's a linksys wrt54g. I don't use the wireless feature. I've had a third party firmware on it for over a year, So I thought I would install the latest linksys firmware to see if that helps... So here's the big problem. When I type in 192.168.1.1 it does not connect to the router. I've done this many many times before . I get the windows white page... I tried resetting the router. unplugging. Still no luck.. I have the new firmware on my desk but can't get into the router to install ???
    I powered everything down for 5 minutes, I deleted cookies and emptied cache... hmmm now what ?

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

try disconnecting the router from the modem and try logging into it again,if successful reapply the firmware u have on your desktop.

If the login is successful after u d/c the router from the modem. Before applying the firmware I would change the ip of the router to 192.168.15.1 your router and modem may be on the same subnet im thinking your modems ip is 192.168.1.100

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is the modem plugged into the WAN/Internet port and not one of the LAN/Network ports? Your symptoms sound like you simply plugged the modem into the wrong place. :)

4. jojodwolf

jojodwolf Thread Starter

fixed.. called linksys, and they guided me through the fix

5. JohnWill

What was the fix?

6. jojodwolf

jojodwolf Thread Starter

lets see... first we cloned the pc mac address...
    unchecked Block Anonymous Internet Requests
    I thought we did one other thing, but can't remember...

7. JohnWill

I'm surprised you didn't move the cable, since cloning the MAC address doesn't sound like a solution, the router was already allowing one machine to connect. :)

8. jojodwolf

jojodwolf Thread Starter

When I did move the cable into the correct port for some reason I was not connecting to the internet.. I don't know why 2 years ago I set it up the way I had it, but it worked, and somehow after I disconnected and reconnected it did not work... nothing worked until I spoke to tech support.. But, whatever it's fine now, and I didn't blow another $60 for the easy fix.. a new router. Now if I could only get the screaming bittorrent speeds that friends of mine say they get.. 200 kb/s .. I'm lucky if I see 60, but usually more like 20.
    Maybe the brand new cable modem will make a difference ??? Mine is pretty old

9. rbrager

rbrager

The problem is solved.

The problem is that DHCP services dynamicaly connecting via Wi-Fi don't seem to be working. Reading the FAQ provided in the DI-524 setup said that it did not matter if I used dynamic or static address inside the LAN. However, I had to assign static addresses outside of the range used by the DHPC server, usually 100 - 199, and set the default gateway to the Routers base address. The static address assignment method worked.

Thanks to all who have helped.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice