1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to secure network, no problems connecting to unsecure networks?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Comp01912, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Comp01912

Comp01912 Thread Starter

Hi.

I have a Belkin Wireless G Notebook card in my Dell Laptop, running Windows XP SP3. I am at work right now. At home, my computer can see my router and I am able to connect to it easily, it being an unsecured network. When I come to work, I try to connect to the secured network and I am unable to. The Windows Wireless Network Connection views it as a security enabled wireless network WPA2. I type in the proper password, and all I get is a progress bar that sweeps back and forth across the screen for several minutes and then disappears, without letting me onto the network. Occasionally, a weaker unsecured network appears and I am able to connect to that. Why will my computer not connect to the secured network? The card that I bought is only a few months old, and I used to be able to connect to my work network without a problem. All of the sudden one day it just dropped out.

I also used to use the Belkin utility to manage the connection, but that doesn't work anymore either because only about half of the utility is displayed, the rest is blank gray like it is frozen. I am hesitant to think that this has to do with the Belkin program, because it used to work fine just using the Windows program. The network is fine, everyone else can connect to it but me. The password is definitely correct. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem here?

2. Comp01912

Comp01912 Thread Starter

The exact type of card is a Belkin Wireless G Notebook Card, Model Number F5D7010v7, which I'm assuming is version 7 of the F5D7010.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A search turns up that a lot of people are having problems with this card and WPA2 (AES), what does Belkin support have to say?

4. Comp01912

Comp01912 Thread Starter

What I'm wondering about the most is why did it used to work, and now all of the sudden doesn't when nothing about the network has changed.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're using XP's WZC make sure the Belkin utility is not running, and vice versa. If you want to try the Belkin utility again uninstall it and then install again (making sure you are using the latest utility and driver from Belkin's web site).

Delete your work network's profile from whichever utility you are using, and try to connect again being careful to type the correct passphrase. I'm suggesting this procedure because sometimes a router and adapter just seem to "get out of sync."

6. Comp01912

Comp01912 Thread Starter

I've tried just using wireless zero, I've tried just using the Belkin utility, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, I've downloaded Network Magic, nothing works. Nothing about my work network has changed. All of the sudden it just stopped working for me one day and hasn't worked since. It works fine for me on my unsecured network at home, but can't connect at work. Before, all I had to do was click the network in the Windows Wireless Utility, type in the password, and boom, connected. Now it's just a progress bar that disappears after 30 seconds and doesn't connect. I've re-downloaded drivers from Belkin's website, nothing works. Is it possible that my network card had some sort of failure and can't connect to secured networks anymore? I don't want to waste money on a new card if this can be fixed. Does anyone have any more ideas?

7. Rabbity

Rabbity

What type of network is it at your work?..does it use active directory?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suppose so, but if so it's probably a driver issue. If it were me and I had that question I would enable on my home router the same type encryption used at work to test the adapter.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I just reread JohnWill's post, but I cannot find your response.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice