1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Connect to Some Websites

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ariaudo, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariaudo

Ariaudo Thread Starter

I have a home network with a spare old P2 233 PC acting as a server and running W2K Server using a Zyxex Prestige 652 ADSL Security Router to share a no-NAT ADSL connection to the internet across the LAN. I have a permenant IP address assigned to the router and server and use DHCP on the server to assign dynamic addresses to the machines on the LAN.

I am getting some strange connection problems on my wife's Dell Dimension XPSB667R PC running XP Pro SP 1 where if she tries to access certain websites the browser (MS Explorer 6.0.28) just hangs and never gets through.

This problem only occurs with a small number of sites - all other sites work fine.

I am running exactly the same version of XP Pro on my Dell Precision 220 and connect to the internet through our LAN in the same way and can access the same sites with no problem at all.

I thought that this might be a problem with her installation of McAfee Viruscan and Personal Firewall (even though I have these installed on my PC as well) and so I uninstalled the whole McAfee package completely. This has made no difference and she still cannot get through.

Unfortunately, one of the sites that she cannot connect to is www.mcafee.com so I cannot reinstall her anti-virus and firewall software.

I've deleted all cookies, offline files and history, reset all security levels to default settings and still the problem persists. I must say I'm now at a loss as to where to try next.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

2. cinci_matt

cinci_matt

very interesting problem, have you tried to connect to www.mcafee.com via the IP address (216.49.88.12) ? **I would suggest pinging the address, but mcafee does not respond to ping requests**

The computer in question may have a problematic DNS table.

hopefully that will help !!

cheers,
    mb

3. Ariaudo

Ariaudo Thread Starter

I've tried the ip address and that doesn't work either. Spooky isn't it?!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice