1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to the network at work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mbrothwell, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbrothwell

mbrothwell Thread Starter

Myself and my cooworkers are unable to connect to a wired network at work (the ups store). We have time warner cable business class. I am using windows 7, plugging my computer into the router or directly into the modem results in an "unidentified network" with no internet access. I have read and tried many posts regarding unidentified networks and nothing has worked so far. One of my coworkers has a mac book and one has a dell with vista. Neither can connect to the network. Is there some sort of security blocking us from connecting? If anyone has any suggestions about how to make this work id really appreciate it. thanks.

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Contact the system administrator at your place of employment for help.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    knucklehead's advice is what we usually give, but UPS stores that I have seen likely don't really have a system or network administrator. :) If you do have somebody in charge of that we don't want to do anything here that might mess things up.

When you connect the cable do the ethernet LEDs light on the computer and the router?

It could be a non-Windows firewall (or even another security application) blocking--one that is misconfigured, corrupted, out-of-date, or was uninstalled but remnants are still lurking. What one(s) do, or did, you have on the computer (let's first just work with one Windows computer and then move on to others).

Please try to connect and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

4. mbrothwell

mbrothwell Thread Starter

thanks ill try this on monday.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice