1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant connect to W2K shared printer from XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stretchr, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stretchr

stretchr Thread Starter

Having great fun here trying to get an XP Pro machine connected to our new Canon CLC950 running off a Cyclone Colorbus RIP which is running W2K.
    Problem is that as soon as the printer is selected (\\clc950\clc950) and press ok, i am presented with a Connect to: dialog and asked for username and password. I have tried the admin password for the cyclone, tried setting up user accounts on the cyclone to match other users on the network, all to no avail. Browsing the network, none of the shares on the CLC950 are available, again it just asks for a username and password, with the same results as trying to install the printer.
    Other XP machines on the network have no problem connecting, as dont the Win98 machines.
    Any ideas, or further information required that might be useful?

2. Eddysmiley

Eddysmiley

Sounds like your not logged onto the network? Are all other network resources available? ie: can you see other pc's on the network etc. Are you logged onto the same domain as the PC sharing the printer??

Ed

3. stretchr

stretchr Thread Starter

Yes, I am most definitely logged onto the network. User logon is done through another NT4 server on the network. The domain is the same as the PC sharing the printer, and other pc's, printers etc are visible on the network. I can also ping the printer PC, which has a fixed IP of course.
    Had the Canon techie out to take a look, made a little progress by installing the printer as a local printer, then creating an IP port and setting it to LPR instead of RAW. Under LPR there is an option (cant remember what its called) that makes LPR read every bit of the print file before sending to the printer. If this option is not set, I cannot print anything. If it is set, I can print small files up to 300k or so, but large files just sit in the printer queue forever - I assume they are just taking forever to be "read". As we regularly need to print files that are 30-40Mb this is completely useless.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/90950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice