Can't connect to web via MSN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grandpaw7

This past Saturday morning, I found I couldn't connect to the web via MSN, JUNO, or NetZero. Mainly, when I tried to connect I would get messages that the connection couldn't be made. I began a series of about thirteen or so calls to MSN Phone "Support". I went through a series of protocols with each tech. Each seemed to have a different take on how to deal with the problem. They would have me go to various places, Telephony, Internet Options, Modem, Network, Dial Up Networking, and change settings per their instruction. Nothing worked. I started getting a message that there was no answer to my connection trys. Then, messages telling me my username or password were not correct. One tech said I would have to go from MSN5.2 to MSN6 before I could solve the problem. Other techs said no this wasn't the problem. Techs had me remove all the connections in DialUp Networking and put in a new one. Supposedly, the problem was turned over to a "higher level" with a name like Problem Solution Team. They were to were to call me back within 24 hours. It's now been about 36. I contacted Online Support. Turned over to a Problem Solution Team. Didn't hear back from the Team. Wrote to Email Support. No reply. Prayed to God. No reply. My psychiatrist has asked me to stop calling him in the middle of the night about my MSN nightmares. Every time I hear the word terrorist on the news, MSN pops into my head. Wanted to kick my dog, then remembered that I don't have one. Wrote a nasty letter to my newspaper; they threatened to sue. Tried to resign from the human race, but got put on indefinite hold.

At some point I found I could connect via NetZero, which is why I'm talking to you now.

Please help. grandpaw

P.S. Now, when I boot up, after the series of black screens and then a blue one or two, I get a blank gray screen for about a minute or two before the desktop shows up. Never happened before. Also, now when I boot up I get the window asking for my username and password. If I enter them I am told they are invalid. So I X out the message. These things didn't happen before. And I find my head twitching uncontrolably when I sit down at my computer. This also is new. I won't even mention the headaches and diaherra.

Please say a little prayer for NetZero; I owe my life to it. Problem is, I paid for three years of MSN and have over a year left.

grandpaw7

DoyceJ, well, here I am again. I may change my name to avoid more embarrassment.

I restored scanreg to this past Friday's date. That was the earliest one available to me. it was Friday that I became unable to connect (though I erroneously said Saturday in my post). The change didn't enable me to connect via MSN.

I have tried to find out how to restore to an earlier date, but haven't found a way I could understand. I read several post for July of this year in which the question was raised, but the instructions were not simple or complete enough for me to follow.

One website it was easy to customize ScanReg. "Just edit the file ScanReg.ini (found in Windows)". "For the number of backups, chlange the number at the lind MaxBackupCopies." BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET TO WHERE THAT OPTION IS AVAILABLE.

I recall that several months ago when I was still relying on MS Paid Support the MS tech had me do some things that gave me a larger list of restore dates, but I have no idea what I did to accomplish that.

When I first went to the Registry Checker to restore, it listed five, including 10/19 as the earliest. Now it lists four, 10/20, and three for 10/21. The first two for 10/21 show Not Started.

I guess the fact that Windows tells me my registry is good is irrelevant, and also irreverant.

Any thoughts, DoyceJ or anybody? grandpaw

PS For what it's worth, yesterday my computer started taking much longer to boot up, because just before opening my desktop it showed a blank gray screen with no cursor which stayed there for a minute or two. That's not happening this morning.

grandpaw7

Now if I can just remember what I have done so far.

I changed the number in MaxBackCopies to 15. But when I search Find for rb* files/folders, I see only the first 4 or 5 cabs. Same when I go to C:\windows\scanw.exe. SO I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO RESTORE SCANREG TO A DATE PRIOR TO OCT 19, WHEN MY INABILITY TO CONNECT VIA MSN STARTED.

I also don't understand the constant reference to "the oldest five". What I get are the most recent five, that is, the youngest five. I assume that the oldest five would be the first five after I got my computer, if it could go back that far.

KB Q182841 calls for me to get the command prompt, I assume by opening in Dos and getting the Windows prompt, and then to enter in the command prompt "cd\windows\sysbckup|, which gives me the System Register, I think it is called. Then, I am instructed to enter "ren rb0??.cab rb0??.xxx", where ?? is the cab number I want. When I do this and enter any number, 0, 1,2, 4,10, whatever, I get a File Not Found message. I wonder why? Where is says to enter ".xxx" does that really mean the small "x" or is that code for something else?

Please don't worry about me running out of questions. I could ask them till Bill Gates freezes over.

grandpaw

Well gp7, thats ME land and I aint real familiar with it. My assumption (he he) is that it was set for 5 backups so thats all you will have right now, until you create more in the future or when you create a point of restore like this,

Go to start/programs/system tools/system restore and one of the selections will be create a restore point. Check that box, click next, and type in anything that makes sense to you if you have to use that restore point.

Have you run repair on IE?

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Not that I know DOS or anything...

But I noticed, if you type</color></font> cd \windows\sysbckup <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">at the</color></font> C:\WINDOWS:> <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">prompt, you're going back up to the root of</color></font> C:<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">, (</color></font>\<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">), and then back down to the</color></font> WINDOWS <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">directory again, and then on to the</color></font> SYSBCKUP <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">folder, which makes no difference really.
You can still get there from there, and it works.

I just thought I'd be anal. :rolleyes:

You're already in</color></font> C:\WINDOWS<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">, you C...er...you see.
If you type</color></font> cd \<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">, you'll end up at a</color></font> C:\> <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">prompt, (the root of the</color></font> C: <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">drive).
If you then type</color></font> cd windows<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">, you'll end up at a</color></font> C:\WINDOWS> <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">prompt.
Since you're already at a</color></font> C:\WINDOWS> <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">prompt, you can just type</color></font> cd sysbckup <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">and you'll end up in the</color></font> C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">folder just fine, where you can carry on with your</color></font> ren<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">s, if it's possible to carry on with your</color></font> ren<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">s.

Either way..

Wait a min...is that a typo or a pipe, that line at the end of your command there?</color></font>
cd\windows\sysbckup <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">--></color></font>| <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6"><--
Throw that out.

And yes...those really are baby</color></font> x<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">'s.

P.S. Never mind any of the above, (I don't practice it myself), and just go with what Doyce says.</font>

Just ignore her personal comments and run with the rest. :)

She is obviously much smarter than she wants us to believe. Too much time alone.

grandpaw7

Signature, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but you sure dance purdy. On my doctor's advise, I've decided to WITHDRAW this thread. Thanks, grandpaw

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">That's how I keep my legs in shape after spending so much time sitting, (alone), at the computer, Grandpaw. :)
I dance, (not alone, I might add, for the sake of Doyce's comment. So, there, Doyce!) :p

And I did say I was just being anal, and to never mind any of it.
I was just showing you how to move around in DOS, was all, really.

Remember, you did say, "</color></font>Please don't worry about me running out of questions. I could ask them till Bill Gates freezes over.<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">"
I thought I'd get a jump ahead on the answers. ;)</font>

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online