1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't connect to wifi network after using youtube

Discussion in 'Networking' started by IISK, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IISK

IISK Thread Starter

Hello, recently my father has had some trouble with every device he's been using, a laptop, a PC, and now his tablet cannot access to the wifi network. He only used them to watch youtube (due to an accident, he uses it to learn the language again). First it was the laptop, which was borrowed and had a password to access configuration so I couldn't check anything, we returned it, then an all-in-one PC, which worked fine for a month and suddenly it disconnected and cannot access to the network again, I'm now in another city so I can't personally check and try every solution, but we tried resetting the wifi adapter, all the network configuration through cmd, forgetting the network and trying to connect again, and.. I'm sorry, the windows helper, which of course asked to connect to the internet to solve connection issues. So we decided that we'll wait until I can think of something and he would be using youtube in his tablet (previously exclusively used for Duolingo), two days later the tablet can't access to the network.

So my questions would be ¿Is the network forbidding the devices? ¿Is it a simple configuration issue? ¿what can I do? and ¿Can the access to a website like youtube lock a device out of a regular home network? because when I was there I used youtube without any issue for a couple of weeks, my brother also used it, and my mother can connect with her phone.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    First try power cycling (unplug for a minute or so) the router. Can any device connect to the wireless? Can any device connect via ethernet to the router?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    In a situation like that, I usually turn the power off to the router, then turn the power off to the modem. I wait 1 minute then turn the modem on. I wait until all the lights are on. It might take a few minutes for the upload, download internet and wifi to come up. Tell him to be patient. Hopefully, he knows what the correct lights are. If not what brand and model modem?
    After those light are on, connect the power to the router.
    The router then should start assigning IPs to the devices on his network.

If it doesn't work, perhaps some setting in the router has turned off wifi access or the router is dying. Again, without knowing the brand and model, it is impossible to give specifics for settings.

4. IISK

IISK Thread Starter

Thank you very much! It worked!
    Sometimes is the simplest solution the one that works. We turned it off for 10 seconds and absolutely forgot about the 1 minute option.
    Although, the question regarding why it happened on those specific devices after entering youtube remains, as every other device, and my mother's PC, which is connected via ethernet cable, had no issue.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

Once in awhile 10 seconds or so is not enough, so we just say 30 seconds or a minute to make sure.

And I'm pretty confident that the question (and similar) will remain unanswered forever. Sometimes glitches happen and rebooting/power cycling the device is the fix.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice