1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't connect to WIFI

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JayStar123, Feb 10, 2019 at 7:05 AM.

Advertisement
  1. JayStar123

JayStar123 Thread Starter

Hey guys so my brother gave me his "gaming" computer and myself I don't know too much about computers but I can't seem to connect to my wifi but when I use ethernet it works.

Anyone able to help me out these are my specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 24513 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (0 GB Free); D: 465 GB (207 GB Free); E: 465 GB (120 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
    Antivirus: None

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, my first question would be: do you need it connected via wi-fi due to its proximity to the router, or will the PC be sited close by? If it's the latter, you'd be better off using Ethernet because of the faster connectivity afforded by this route. If you want to proceed with a wi-fi connection, what happens when you try to connect? Do you see the SSID for your network, try to connect, and then enter the password? If so, what happens after this? Do you control the router or does it belong to someone else?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Insert before loclomonder's Wi-Fi questions: does the computer have Wi-Fi capability? :)

lochlomonder likes this.
  4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Good point, à la Occam's Razor, Terry (y)

5. JayStar123

JayStar123 Thread Starter

I would rather have a wifi connection because I only got one Ethernet wire in my room and I share rooms with my sibling he likes to use the Ethernet for his PS4 so I don’t like swapping all the time.

So my wifi does show up in connections when I click on it the password box comes up and then when I enter the password it loads and it says connecting and then a error message pops up just saying I am unable to connect, I also control the router btw

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Consider a simple ethernet switch if you cannot get the Wi-Fi working.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the router has a spare port you could just get another Ethernet cable.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice