1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Connect to Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by reticentAJ, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reticentAJ

reticentAJ Thread Starter

First Name:
    AJ
    There is an internal wireless network that uses WPA2-Enterprise with PEAP. I am unable to connect to the wireless network, unless I manually add the network and tell it not to validate the server certificate.

No other computers experience this. I believe that the certificate was changed recently and I didn't have problems before that, so I would think that my computer is still using that old certificate and is why it isn't working.

I tried finding the certificate and removing it, but I don't think I really know how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Have you tried removing the network and then rejoining automatically?

3. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yeah tried that; it was unable to connect to the network. Then, I manually added it again, unchecked validate server certificate, and got internet again.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Falling short of the server that is authenticating your computer, I will defer to the next person.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This sounds like a corporate network. Why haven't you addressed this with the IT department?

For you to be able to get around the certificate authentication and get on the wireless network, unfortunately, means who ever set it up didn't do a good job. WPA2-Enterprise uses Radius authentication to validate whether a particular device is authorized to connect to even start to talk on the network. But the authentication doesn't end there. The next part of the authentication process should be a username and password challenge. The encryption key used to secure the wireless connection is based on the username and password entered and is only used after the username and password is authenticated. This is usually done via Active Directory or LDAP.

It does sound like the certificate has changed. You can try to locate the expired certificate by into IE and into Internet Options. From there click on the Content tab and you'll see a button for Certificates. You'll have to hunt through the various tabs like Personal, Trusted Publishers, etc. From there you can upload or delete certificates.

Again, this sounds like a corporate network setup and you should really be consulting the IT staff for help as if you need a new certificate, they'll be the ones that will issue you one.

6. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Well, I am the IT department. The boss wouldn't help, because he always tells me to figure it out for myself. Also, since it doesn't affect other people, then it definitely isn't a concern for him.

I tried looking for the old one, but can't find it or I was just missing it.

Thanks for the help though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice